Live Rock vs Bio-Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ted

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a beginner to Saltwater tanks and have only recently cycled my tank(6 weeks). I have a all-in-one SeaClear tank which has a chamber in the back that houses trickle Bio-Balls. I have a FOWLR in main tank and was wondering if I should replace all the Bio-Balls with LR from the Ocean since I heard BB retain nitrates and LR convert them into Nitrogen gas.

I think the main exportation of nitrates is through water changes and/or suspended carbs and skimming. From what I read, the anaerobic bacteria needed to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas takes a long time to harbor and doesn't clear a bunch of nitrates.

Bio-balls will be a nitrate factory, live rock is better.

Live rock is better bioballs become nitrate factories. However in a reef aquarium the nitrogen cycle usually stops at nitrate. Anaerobic bacteria need low oxygen environment to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas which does not happen on a large enough scale in a reef tank to keep nitrates in check. Nitrates are controlled through water changes and proper maintenance in a reef aquarium.

Protein skimmer help by removing organics from the water before they have a change to break down into nutrients such as nitrate and phosphate. So protein skimmers dont remove nitrate but they do remove many organics before they can become nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom