mixing instant ocean reef crystal salt and still cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aj204

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi there i just got a 50 gallon tank, got instant ocean reef crystal salt and started mixing, on my hydrometer it shows 1.023 but my water looks cloudy? is this normal cycling still, its been like this for 2 days now, and whats my next step? live rock and some crabs?

your next step is live rock, but not crabs. you should buy at least 50 pounds. you should also purchase a refractometer. those swing arm hydrometers are not very accurate.

don't add any livestock until the tank is completely cycled (no present ammonia or nitrite). you'll also need salt water test kits.

that cloudy water will clear up.

You can get 50% base rock and 50% LR.

Do you have a sand substrate? You want to place the rocks on the glass and then add the sand, especially if you get any sand sifters in the future.

I too had the same problem with one of the salt mixes do not remember which one it was but I switched over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt mix and had my water tested and all my levels have been perfect compared to the others that I have used in the past. It may be more expensive but it is worth it.
I also use Prime for my dechlorinator.

Mary

There is nothing wrong with your salt crystals. The IO brand does not cloud up the water unless it is not fully mixed.

When you get a mix of base rock and live rock, does it matter how you stack it in the tank? Like live rock on the bottom with the base rock on top, or base on bottom? or all jumbled together? Just wondering for when I start my tank!

When you get a mix of base rock and live rock, does it matter how you stack it in the tank? Like live rock on the bottom with the base rock on top, or base on bottom? or all jumbled together? Just wondering for when I start my tank!

Most people put the base rock on the bottom and the LR on top of it to give the appearance that it is all LR.

i would place the rock so that it's most useful and functional.
what i mean by that is, you don't want a big pile with no character. take some time and place the pieces so that when you get done it looks good.

also, you should be concerned with flow being able to cut through the rock work and caverns and such for the fish to swim in and out of and hide in. lastly, you want as many places as possible to be able to place corals.

hi there i just got a 50 gallon tank, got instant ocean reef crystal salt and started mixing, on my hydrometer it shows 1.023 but my water looks cloudy? is this normal cycling still, its been like this for 2 days now, and whats my next step? live rock and some crabs?

To address your first question, yes it is normal for salt mixes to be cloudy at first. With proper circulation, this should clear up in a few hours. However, if I am reading your post right, it looks like you may have mixed the salt in the tank. That's probably ok since there is nothing in the tank. Going forward though, you will need to mix your salt in a separate container so as not to kill your stock. ; ) As others have already pointed out, the next step could be to add rock if you are going reef or fowlr. If fish only, pick some hardy, inexpensive fish (damsels perhaps) and add them once the salinity, temp and ph is stable. GL!

To address your first question, yes it is normal for salt mixes to be cloudy at first. With proper circulation, this should clear up in a few hours. However, if I am reading your post right, it looks like you may have mixed the salt in the tank. That's probably ok since there is nothing in the tank. Going forward though, you will need to mix your salt in a separate container so as not to kill your stock. ; ) As others have already pointed out, the next step could be to add rock if you are going reef or fowlr. If fish only, pick some hardy, inexpensive fish (damsels perhaps) and add them once the salinity, temp and ph is stable. GL!

You mean add the fish after the cycle is complete right? Because adding fish to an uncycled tank is IMO not an option. Putting a fish through that is no way to treat them. just my two cents

I did all my water levels checks, the pH level is 82, & the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all 0ppm. Finally my tank cleared up! I've got about 20lbs of live rock (which has some stuff growing on it), 5 snails, & bought a high output lighting fixture. What would be my next step? Am I ready to have any type of fish? How long would I have to wait before putting coral in? I really don't feel like stocking up on 50lbs of live rock ..
Besides that, my fishtank is looking really great so far

Get 50 pounds of base rock to go under your 2 pounds of LR. It will become LR within a few months. LR becomes your biological filter.

You have not cycled your tank yet so as Kurt pointed out you need to do that first. What else are you using for filtration besides the 20 pounds of LR?

Did you add the snails? If so, can you return them until your tanks completes the cycle?

Get 50 pounds of base rock to go under your 2 pounds of LR. It will become LR within a few months. LR becomes your biological filter.

You have not cycled your tank yet so as Kurt pointed out you need to do that first. What else are you using for filtration besides the 20 pounds of LR?

Did you add the snails? If so, can you return them until your tanks completes the cycle?
they are correct. you are going to end up killing a lot of creatures if you try to rush things.

With respect to the cloudy water: how did you mix your salt?

You shouldn't mix it with water in the tank. I have been using IO reef crystals and yes, when you first mix the stuff it is cloudy. I mix mine in a 33G garbage can and when you first add the salt it is cloudy. After a little while it will turn slightly milky and then perfectly clear. You need to mix your salt water outside the tank and leave it mixing with a powerhead and heater for about 24hours before adding it to your main tank.

Well, don't have to, but it helps :)

IMO if you mixed the salt in the tank for the first time then yes it can be a bit cloudy not a big deal, it happens just don't do it when doing PWC (mix water in a separate container). Second please do cycle your tank before you add any live stock to it (I don't see how your tank cycled in 5 days). Third 20 lbs of live rock is great now just add another 30 of base rock. Last of all I don't recommended you start adding any corals until your tank is about 5 or 6 months and you start to see a trend of normalcy in your water parameters.

I added 40lbs of live rock, and bought a protein skimmer. Everything for my water levels are ok, I will probably do my first water change this coming Saturday. I have 2 denzels, so I am just curious on how to do a proper water change? At the fish store, the guy told me I could put in live corals in about a week or so. Also I am planning on selling my 2 denzels and buying 2 clown fish. Is there any kind of specific corals I should look into buying for the clown fish?

na..you can put corals in right after a proper cycle. i've done it many times. i completely agree that that LFS should not be trusted and they've given some false information.
and yes, denzel should not be in that tank right now...he was pretty good in "The Book of Eli" though!
oscar.gif

Back
Top Bottom