New to it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryn_C_mu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had FOWLR tank for almost four months. last Friday at my LFS they told me my water has been consistently perfect and recommended me to get an anemone even though I'm new they thought I was ready for it so I got a condelactis so my question is care and how to get my mocha clowns to host thanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396332620.608878.jpg

Cool, you got the right lighting for it? It's unlikely that your clown will host this type of nem, I assume you don't have any corals being a fowler? They can sting corals if they move around the tank. Nice looking nem though :)

You need strong lighting, and pristine water for the condy. And I wouldn't consider a 4 month old tank nem ready, you should really wait around a year. As bectan said this will most likely not host anything. You should also stop listening to that lfs, no reputable lfs would push a nem on some one with no reef experience and a 4 month old tank, IMO they were just looking for a sale and would of told you what ever it took to get one. My $.02 would be to return it, and start with something easier like soft corals or maybe a euphillia family coral

Ok well they are not completely at fault here I asked about an anemone and that's what the offered I wanted a sense and they said "no way to new of tank and really high lighting" so they offered me the condelactis and I was sold instantly it seems to be doing just fine I feed it mysis shrimp and some pellet stuff and it seems to like that is there any basics like mushrooms I could do next

What kind of lighting do you have? With proper lighting, it stands a chance. Without it, it will deteriorate. Hopefully they asked about that, as that is as important, actually more, than the water conditions.

My lighting is good LEDs but good lighting day and night

No no no they are long and wider higher power too the lid has a mount for them they don't look like a tube they're hard to explain

Those are the highest power marineland LEDs I've ever heard of and even they are pretty much Crap for reef use.

Those are the highest power marineland LEDs I've ever heard of and even they are pretty much Crap for reef use.

Yeah I've been doing a little digging on them and I have to agree. They all use 1w max power LEDs, so there most likely being run at .5-.75 w and that's not going to support an anemone. If you really want a nem you should upgrade your lighting and return the condy and let your tank mature for another 6 months or so and try a BTA, generally considered the hardiest nem

Oh ok I'll give that a shot the weird thing is the little guy stays to the bottom and in half the shadows he's weird but seems to enjoy himself so I will do some research on lights because I want to keep the little guy

Lighting isn't the only issue. Your tank is not mature enough for an anemone. It probably won't survive. You should take it back and wait another 6-8 months before adding another.

Oh ok I'll give that a shot the weird thing is the little guy stays to the bottom and in half the shadows he's weird but seems to enjoy himself so I will do some research on lights because I want to keep the little guy

He may be looking okay now, but trust the info above. Try some waving hand soft coral. Requires little light and my clowns love hosting it. Try a euphilia (LPS) like frogspawn, although the clown might irritate it if it tries to host that.

Back
Top Bottom