Question about stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've gone through the motions over the past few months and have started to realize something..... fish make alot of poop...... what I'm wondering is can you add more inverts "inch for inch" than you can fish ???? do they create less waste.... correct me if I'm wrong but I would think that the inverts ability to "clean" the tank along with the fact that the majority you can buy are relatively small says to me that you can have numerous inverts and not have to worry about nitrates .. as much....... accumulating in the tank I mean....... in other words...... inverts impact the nitrate accumulation less................. right ???

really??????? how'z that?????? they poop don't they ???? creating ammonia etc?????

Hurry tell me !!!! I wanna get more inverts....... I LOVE 'em........

Because they make less waste and they eat the wastes of the fish. They will eat decaying food, dead and decaying animals, etc. They things all contribute to ammonia build up and by them eating them and breaking them down further, they actually help cut down on the amount of DOC in the water.
Make any sense?

Thas kinda what I was getting at with the initial post... thanks for clearing it up.... I've got a couple sand sifters,cleaners,emeralds etc... any advice on some more non aggressive inverts for the tank....... kinda thinkin of more shrimp... though the two cleaners I have hide most of the day.... I'd like to have some to watch..... would increasing their numbers help that??????

How long have you had the cleaners??

Mine stayed hidden for a few days, but now they are the first to say hello, and if my arm hits the water, there on it! :wink:

I've had them about a week...... They just don't seem to come out that much.... maybe too much "food" already in the tank ???? They don't have to search..... hmm.....

Back
Top Bottom