Red Slime Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmonson

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have red slime algae in a few spots in my tank and today it started to grow on one of my corals, does anyone know how to get rid of it and keep it away

I use Rodi I have 2 powerheads 4 clown fish 1 purple firefish 29 gallon

Red slime is also called cyanobacteria and it is caused my excess nutrients in your water. Do a few PWC and increase flow in the affected areas if possible( dont blast a softie with direct flow).

You can also siphon it out with airline tubing, but it will just come back until you fix the underlying issue(nutrient saturation).

As far as it being on your coral, just get a turkey baster and blow it off, cyano is soft.

How often and how much do you feed? Cyano will just come back if you're over feeding.

I usually feed once a day and just about a much as they can eat in around 2-3 minutes

That seems like a decent feeding schedule. I'd go with the chemiclean. Works great.

How often do you do water changes? Reducing nitrates and phosphates will hopefully starve it out.

I usually do a water change once sometimes twice a week

Back
Top Bottom