Sea Sponges-opinions/facts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whats your opinion of sea sponges? Can they be kept successfully? ANyone here had/have sponges? Im interested in possibly getting sponges in my tank. I now they cant be exposed to air but what else is there to it when i t comes to sponges! :cool:

Most require lots of water flow and also lots of plankton most die from to much algae growth and not enough nutrients some species are highly toxic do plenty if research first

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The sponges that you can buy have a pretty abysmal success rate, due to needing a ton of food, proper flow, and pristine water to thrive...along with not exposing them to air. But everyone's tank ends up having sponges of some sort, you just never see them growing under and between rocks as they aren't fans of light.

yeah ive noticed black sponge growth under my rocks myself. Algae is a killer to sponges?

If you don't have enough flow over them algae growth will smother them in turn killing them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom