Sea water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPCustoms

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I live in California and I like like 30 minutes away from the pacific ocean. I was wondering could I use water straight from the ocean after it is warmed up to use for a salt water tank?

Well, maybe in theory. But you have no idea what else you'd be bringing in other than salt and water. Parasites, diseases, pollution... I wouldn't risk it, personally.

i would assume the water after being disinfected might be more benefitial to the fish? or am i completely wrong about that?

KPCustoms said:
i would assume the water after being disinfected might be more benefitial to the fish? or am i completely wrong about that?

They sell that water but it's gotten miles off shore

I use sea water I collect off my dock. I live on the Atlantic side though. No ill effects yet as far as parasites are anything like that.

You could probably collect seawater safely for years with nothing bad ever happening. I'm just paranoid. I put a lot of time, work, love, attention, and money into my tank - and it's only about a month old! I don't want to take any unnecessary risks. Just me. I'm a little paranoid.

I don't do it, but there are several folks who fill a couple of trash cans from the Gulf of Mexico and use in their reef tanks. They haven't had any water issues that I am aware of. I do know they go out at least 17 miles past our barrier islands where the water is much cleaner.

Thats exactly what you should do. Closer to the beach, there is alot of polution in some areas. If you know whats in the water, than your fine.

I dont see the point.... Your 30 mins away anyway. You will spend more money and time driving to get water (that may harm your tank) than you will making your own.

Think of it like this, the beach is the oceans skimmer and with all the boats and stuff there is no way I would use the water unless you went to a reef and collected water from there IMO.

Back
Top Bottom