SeaChem - PhosGuard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpEd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone used this product? Says it removes silica and phosphates. W

I've heard good things about it on here. I use Phos-x because it's cheaper but alot of people on here use phosgard.

well i hate to do it but i have to say i will never use it again. i used it to see if i could bring my phosphates down over time to lower levels and well never even touched it. but thats just my personal opion maybe it works better for others. i have heard great things about phosban from everyone though

i use it because im on tap water and it keeps the brown algae away helps with cyno but dosent always get rid of it
i would recomend using it if u use tap water but thats just my opinion

thanks for the info, I have a couple of questions:

does it have any impact on pH or other parameters?

Also, what is the best way to use it? Do you just add it to your existing filter media?

I have half a 4L sitting here going to waste. I used it in my 75G and it began bleaching my toadstool coral. I read a couple articles pointing to the aluminum based Seachem. I stopped using it and the coral recovered for the most part and thats been about 4 weeks now. I used it in my 29G (since I had no sarcophyton in it) and the corals and inverts started looking a little weird. I highly recommend using something else. I am currently testing (Two Little Fishes) Phosban which so far has been a disappointment (Using the phosban 'reactor') I also have RowaPhos on deck to try for a second time since the first time out with it provided little to no results. In the defense of the Phosban I do not think I have enough water flow for it, but I will be hooking to a 90G/Hr pump this weekend...

GL!

I used it to try and lower my phosphates in my 58 gallon. I did not have any negative effects on my corals (hard/soft) or clams but it did not cause any measurable reduction in phos. I would not buy it again.

Back
Top Bottom