Should i do a water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last Monday I did a 10 gallon water change when my nitrates were at 40 ppm in my 75 gallon so I did a 10 gallon water change and today I tested and now it's at 10 ppm! I don't think a little 10 gallon would've dropped it that much? I have gotten some algae over the last week and phosphates are at 0.. Calcium is at 460. I have a 20gallon sump/refugium on it, I haven't done a water change in over a week and everything seems great! Do I still need to do one?

Yes. Even if you're nitrates are at 0 you should still do them to replenish trace elements and just give the fish new water. It would be like getting fresh air for humans.

Okay, what could be wrong with my GSP's? They were open this morning along with my cauliflower colt and now their both closed, one of the GSP frags fell off the rock but they wouldn't explain why the other one is closed! Would a 15 gallon change fix whatever the problem is?

But it's weird how all 3 are closed, last time I had some GSPs the guy at my lfs said I should be dosing with iodine but I don't need to do that if I do my weekly water changes rights? I don't know how or if I can test for it!

You don't need to dose. You only need to dose if you water changes don't keep up with corals. Don't dose what you don't test for.

crister13 said:
You don't need to dose. You only need to dose if you water changes don't keep up with corals. Don't dose what you don't test for.

what should the iodine levels be at?

Iodine is used by inverts for proper molting, and corals somehow. Don't exactly know how, chemically, but iodine is a necessary element.
But I agree with Crister, don't dose anything you don't test for. Proper iodine levels should be in your salt mix when you do pwc's.

Yeah I also have a refugium, should I do anything to it to take away all the nutrients from the nuisance algae? Maybe get rid of some, add some or just leave it?

I would just leave it, what you have should be pulling nitrates sufficiently. If anything, maybe consider a phosphate removing pad (temporary), or a GFO reactor (long-term).

Flreefer said:
I would just leave it, what you have should be pulling nitrates sufficiently. If anything, maybe consider a phosphate removing pad (temporary), or a GFO reactor (long-term).

Sorry Flreefer! If i would've noticed it was you I wouldn't have save said I have a refugium but you changed your pic an I didn't take the time to look! How much are GFO reactors? I'm saving up for my first car right now and its killing me just buying water for the PWC'S each week!

Yeah, thought it was time for a change! Reactor, the GFO medium, and the pump to run it, would probably run you about $150-180 total. But until you could swing it, just a phosphate pad put in the stream of intake water to your sump, would help reduce phosphates for now. They don't work that well, but it would help. The phos pads are like $10-12, and you can cut if to fit.
I'm in need of a GFO myself, and I cut the pad in 2. One piece lasts about 3-4 weeks, so almost 2 months with both pieces. Not the best scenario, but it has to help. Money's tight for me too!!

Flreefer said:
Yeah, thought it was time for a change! Reactor, the GFO medium, and the pump to run it, would probably run you about $150-180 total. But until you could swing it, just a phosphate pad put in the stream of intake water to your sump, would help reduce phosphates for now. They don't work that well, but it would help. The phos pads are like $10-12, and you can cut if to fit.
I'm in need of a GFO myself, and I cut the pad in 2. One piece lasts about 3-4 weeks, so almost 2 months with both pieces. Not the best scenario, but it has to help. Money's tight for me too!!

Yeah! Hard to do In a reef aquarium! my lfs tested and said no phosphates, I just started using RO water for top offs instead of tap with dechrolinator so that's probably where the algae is coming from! I get my check next Friday and it's so tempting to go buy the flame angel my lfs has!

It's always a hard choice. What you want, and what you need!! If your getting algae, you've got phosphates, it's just not detectable because the algae is using it.
Get an Alk test kit. And something to reduce phosphates. Another introduction, will only make the problem worse. It's always best to do what's best for your tanks health, not its aesthetics. When your done with what the tank needs, then you get a free pass, well not free, to get what you want!!

So $100 plus shipping, if applicable. Sorry, was thinking of what it would cost me, as I would need a bigger reactor, and would prefer to be more cost effective, and buy the GFO in more bulk than $25 worth.

That's still about 90 dollars without tax, I can't do that right now, I'm less than 3 mints away from getting my license and I have 600 dollars saved up for a car right now! I gotta stock away all I can!

Water changes are the best way to deal with any problems! I would say wait on the new fish and cure the algae first. Time is always of the essence.:)

Back
Top Bottom