specific gravitiy is low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vwgolf0660

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my gravity is at 1.018. Is that good? I used a Deep Six Hydrometer. Dont know how accurate it can be.

You'll want to raise it higher -- shooting for 1.025

The easiest way to do so (must be done gradually) is to use saltwater instead of fresh water to replace evaporation.

I was using a Deep Six, and was none too thrilled with it. I just replaced it with a refractometer -- well worth the 50 bucks -- incredibly accurate, a snap to use, and no more uncertainty.

agreed, swing arm hydrometer's just aren't very reliable.

I'd call 1.018 too low, but you don't have to go all the way to 1.025..that's mainly for people with full reef tanks, who's inhabitants would be adversly affected by lower salinity. If you have a fish only tank, I'd shoot for about 1.022

IF that is your true SG, then it is a bit low. You can raise it slowly by topping off with SW instead of fresh. If you have livestock in the tank make sure you raise it slowly.

Get a refractometer, I thought my reef was at 1.025 and it was close to .29. Is it a reef ot fowlr? Lower in a fo tank is not that big of a deal.... like the others say raise it slowly over a few days. Have someone with a meter check you water sg.

Back
Top Bottom