Stock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick question about adding some fish to my tank. Can I add a longnose hawkfish and mandarin goby to my 75 gallon FOWLR tank?
Current stock: 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 pink spotted watchman goby, 1 male mccosker flasher wrasse, 1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 tiger pistol shrimp, 2-4 astraea turbo snails, some blue legged hermits,and some zebra hermits.

I know I couldn't add the hawk and mandarin if I added 3 female mccoskers like I wanted, but could I get them without the females being in the picture?

I will be setting up a refugium before I add any more fish, have to remove the tank to set up the fuge.

1) On the hawkfish no you cant. The shrimp you have will be toast once that hawkfish enters your system. You have some pretty nice shrimp there and I would hate to see them go missing. 2) The mandarin is a very picky eater. They mostly eat pods only. If you have a lot of LR in your tank you could buy some pods and hope they grow well in there or you could get your LFS to feed the mandarin flake or Mysis shrimp to see if they will eat prepared foods. The second option is the best because they will eat when you feed. The first option is a little risky because they eat a lot of pods and when they run out they usually starve to death because they are not trained to eat prepared foods.
So in review definitely no on the hawkfish because of your shrimp stock and maybe in the future on the mandarin.

1) On the hawkfish no you cant. The shrimp you have will be toast once that hawkfish enters your system. You have some pretty nice shrimp there and I would hate to see them go missing. 2) The mandarin is a very picky eater. They mostly eat pods only. If you have a lot of LR in your tank you could buy some pods and hope they grow well in there or you could get your LFS to feed the mandarin flake or Mysis shrimp to see if they will eat prepared foods. The second option is the best because they will eat when you feed. The first option is a little risky because they eat a lot of pods and when they run out they usually starve to death because they are not trained to eat prepared foods.
So in review definitely no on the hawkfish because of your shrimp stock and maybe in the future on the mandarin.

Thanks for the help! I didn't thinkbthe hawkfish would even go after the shrimp because if their size, but I'm reading online that they will.

Would the 3 female wrasse be out of the question with a mandarin?

Thanks again melosu

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably so. I love the pink spotted goby. I had one for 15 years before he became a jumper. He got into a calendar with this pic

6218-albums6155-picture30577.jpg

Probably so. I love the pink spotted goby. I had one for 15 years before he became a jumper. He got into a calendar with this pic

6218-albums6155-picture30577.jpg

Thanks for the help. Now I just need live aquaria to get the females in so my man can get some ladies

Awesome picture!! I hardly see my pink spotted. My dad and sister named him Casper as in Casper the ghost...

You do not need females to get the males to flash. Males of other species often cause the flashing behaviour

You do not need females to get the males to flash. Males of other species often cause the flashing behaviour

That might explain why the wrasse occasionally flashes around one of my clownfish.

Would adding the females give me any advantage over not having them?

Back
Top Bottom