SW Aquarium Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know if [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]John Tullock is a good Author to read?

Or if anyone know of a Good SW Book Author to read?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I have one on 'Aquarium Fish' by John Tullock and I like it. Try this link for more up to date ones:

wetwebmedia.com/yourlibfaq2.html

Did you read the Mandarin Primor?

I never got the link you sent about the Mandarin.... And the one you just gave does not work?

Thanks Kurt..

Robert Fenner wrote 'The conscientious Marine Aquarist' and a follow-up one..I have first...a good starter book.

I PM'd info to you on the 'Mandarin Primer'...it is on ReefCentral under the forum of Reef Fishes... a good long account of many people's experiences with raising this fish..good reading. Sorry you didn't get it..it was a couple of days ago.

-------------

Curly

Frankie...The 'Mandarin Primer' is still on that thread...think they made it a sticky...so you can still read it...that's not the first PM you haven't gotten from me..I haven't sent hardly any, so it's probably just me as there is noone around here to show me the right way...

One I sent you was www.chucksaddiction.com . He (Chuck) had his column through wetwebmedia.com and there was a whole section on raising Pods. I have been trying to find it again. I think he had a recent heart attack. .. will keep trying as it was a good one.

Hope these help...I wish I could do it...waiting for Fedex and my Pods now...guess I will just put all of them in the refugium.

Anthony Calfo (not sure of spelling on last name) is supposed to have a really good book just out on corals...

Good Reading !!!

--------------

Curly

Dieter Untergasser's, Handbook of Fish Diseases!

Here's a whole list for you. Hope it helps.

Conscientious Reef Aquarist
by Robert Fenner

Natural Reef Aquariums
by John H. Tullock

Aquarium Corals; Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History
by Eric Borneman

Corals a Quick Reference Guide
by Julian Sprung

Reef Aquarium Vol I, II, and III
by Sprung/Delbeck

Reef Invertebrates
by Calfo/Fenner

Reef Fish Identification
by Allen/Steene

Reef Secrets
by Alf Jacob Nilsen and Svein A. Fossa

Three excellent PocketExpert Guides are;
Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species
by Ronald L Shimek

Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species
by Scott W. Michael

Reef Aquarium Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know-Species
by Scott W. Michael[/QUOTE]

True, and I don't suggest running out and buying them all at once either - some are rather expensive. But it is a good list

Corals a Quick Reference Guide
by Julian Sprung...

I have this, and while it's a *nice* book, I'd recommend putting it on the bottom of your priority list.

It has nice pictures for ID purposes, but doesn't really give you any good ideas of how to care for the coral. The lighting/feeding/placement charts are kind of funny, as their recommendations are so broad that they're useless.

Don't get me wrong... it's a nice book to have in your library, but don't make it your "go to" book on corals. If you have only one shot at getting a basic coral book, get Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" book.

I have this, and while it's a *nice* book, I'd recommend putting it on the bottom of your priority list.

It has nice pictures for ID purposes, but doesn't really give you any good ideas of how to care for the coral. The lighting/feeding/placement charts are kind of funny, as their recommendations are so broad that they're useless.

Don't get me wrong... it's a nice book to have in your library, but don't make it your "go to" book on corals. If you have only one shot at getting a basic coral book, get Borneman's "Aquarium Corals" book.

Agreed. The nice thing about Sprung's book however, is you can I.D. the corals by common name, whereas in Borneman's book, he uses primarily scientific names. I often have to find the coral in Sprung's, then reference Borneman's - for those without the scientific naming knowledge, Sprungs is a handy reference guide - as stated however, not much good for coral care references.

I agree with Kurt and the problem with many books is the common name usage, which just tends to confuse people in what coral they are trying to describe. If one can take the time to learn and use scientific terminology (not really that difficult with repetition) I think the hobby would be better off...imo.

I agree with Kurt and the problem with many books is the common name usage, which just tends to confuse people in what coral they are trying to describe. If one can take the time to learn and use scientific terminology (not really that difficult with repetition) I think the hobby would be better off...imo.

While I don't disagree with you, until such time as you can convince suppliers to use this practice, the hobby will never change. Too many LFS purchase and list corals solely based on common names, and they themselves have no clue on the scientific name or even what coral/fish/invert it truly is. I've asked my LFS numerous times to get corals, fish, or inverts based on scientific names, and neither they nor the supplier have any idea what I'm talking about. I would be willing to bet there isn't a LFS within five hundred miles where I could walk in and order a Paracheilinus mccoskeri female and they would have a clue what I was talking about. Until such times as things change, Sprung's book for all its faults, is a necessary evil

I got The New Marine Aquarium by Paletta when I was first starting my reef tank and it's a great getting started guide.

Borneman's book is great too, you can ID and get to know almost anything about any coral ever.

Check Half.com for cheap books. :)

Back
Top Bottom