Trumpet coral care...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just picked up a 7 head frag. Where should
I place it... sand, rocks? High, mid, low? Flow? Thanks.

image-2212847527.jpg

placement doesn't matter as long as it gets enough light and medium flow. it's an easy coral to grow, no worries at all if you have successfully kept other corals before.

+1 look for feeding tentacles at night and it will be puffy during the day.

Thanks... Just doesn't look right on the sand, will move it higher tomorrow. Already saw the tentacles after lights out. Will target feed tomorrow evening.

It depends on your lighting. Mine is in the sandbed under my radions. Put a good emphasis on the flow it gets though. I had another colony right beside it that just died off. Had one before these two that did similar. Just never the best of luck with them, though a good beginner coral, seem to be finicky regarding flow. It is too bad since they look really nice in the kryptonite green and candy cane...would both go so well with my current blue colony.

So should I just leave it be on the sandbed? It's in a medium/higher flow area (towards the corner
of the tank that gets quite a bit of movement)... It seemed to enjoy the LED intensity as it opened up almost immediately after drip acclimating and adding to tank...

I'd keep it there if it's happy. You can see the tentacles in the pic starting to show. Make sure it is nice and puffy in the morning and you should be good to go.

I'd keep it there if it's happy. You can see the tentacles in the pic starting to show. Make sure it is nice and puffy in the morning and you should be good to go.

Ok... I just added it tonight (along with some zoas and 2 tiger nassarius snails). When you say puffy, do you mean after the lights come on?

Ok cool thanks. I'll put up a pic tomorrow if I have any concerns.

Whelp it looked good this am, even better in the afternoon. The whites go off at 9:00, and the feeding tentacles were extended, so I gave my first go at spot feeding with some mysis. Musta been hungry lol. Really neat feeling watching it eat, can't wait for more corals. The BEST part is, I saw my wife pull up the ottoman and gaze into
the fish tank for a good 15 mins...

Lol. I know the feeling. When my niece is in town with my sister she ALWAYS has to come down and see my tank. Always "has to see the fishes". Ironic since my tank only has fish to feed the clam/corals through the water column really...

Lol. I know the feeling. When my niece is in town with my sister she ALWAYS has to come down and see my tank. Always "has to see the fishes". Ironic since my tank only has fish to feed the clam/corals through the water column really...

There's a very high "social demand" for salt water aquariums, as it seems lol... Very visually appealing, and incredibly intriguing. I was even at a pet store once buying a filter and the clerk said they gave me credit for attempting a salt water tank... It's just a very enjoyable hobby, as frustrating and patience testing as it
is.

On the trumpet coral side of things, I was told if I kept this guy fed, it would grow like wildfire. I am aware "wildfire" is very relative, but when these
grow, does the size of each head increase, or do multiple heads begin to branch off? And at what rate... Let's say monthly? In inches, heads, etc..?

Awesome thanks for your help Hank... Kind of nerve racking being only my second coral. Now only if my nassarius snails will make an appearance lol.

In my case, I bought a frag 12 months ago, it had 3 heads, I've moved it around quite a few times (up/down/left and right). It has been fine in every resting place, white LEDs have now increased the head count to 4.
Woohoo probably my fave coral.
Ps I've never spot fed it

So why do a couple of the heads look great:

image-629961199.jpg

And a couple look not so great:

image-2593487320.jpg

Is it flow, lighting, etc on that particular side of it?

Back
Top Bottom