Upgrading tank- lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparkchaser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 55 gal tank with a 4x65watt pc retrofit in the canopy. I plan to upgrade to a 90 gal tank new month. The only types of corals that I plan on having are some Zoo's and Ricora shrooms, I know that this will not be enough light. I don't want MH's because I want to have a nice wood canopy, and I'm not good with wood. (I've only found 6" canopies made commercially) So should I

a. add another 4x65 watt pc retro fit
b. add 2 VHO's with my current fixture
c. Trash my old fixture and get either
1. a 4x96 watt pc retrofit
2. a 4x110 watt VHO retro
d. Add 2 150 watt MH with my 4x65 watt pc in a 6" canopy, and add 2 fans

Too many choices. Please give me your thoughts.

Even though I don't run MH, I personally like the water shimmer effect :)

Do you have space for VHOs in the canopy? This sounds like the 'smallest' method. Maybe run VHO Actinics and 10k PCs (when its time to change the bulbs out)?

4x65 watt on a 90 will be okay for most softies. Justput them a bit higher on the rock work and you will be okay. COngrates on the up-grade!...Lando

But its fun to spend lots of money upgrading your lights and then finding out the consequences when your utility bill comes. At least you save on heating... :)

You got that right theatrus! Between my electric bill and water evaporation, it is costly. But, as you said..the shimmering effect is awesome.

Sparkchaser - I am no wood workfer either, but I was able to build one for my 90G that is 15" high. Materials - $145 including two fans. This also helps keep the surface of the water from getting too hot as well. I'll post some pics of it this week.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom