Using real salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamaboy2go

Aquarium Advice Regular
I live at Orange Beach Al. and have been using saltwater from the Gulf to do water change outs. So far things are going ok. Any thoughts on this good or bad?

Andos99 said:

Why so?

I use it, all of my friends who have established tanks (ranging from 1-4 years) use it and my lfs even said it is better.

Nothing in my water seems out of the ordinary though i have no fish.

You're running a HUGE risk of involuntarily introducing something harmful into your tank...Contaminants, harmful bacteria, algae blooms etc.

By using NSW you're running the great risk of adding just what your animals need to thrive. I think it is a better alternative than ASW (who's better than Mother Nature at making what our tanks need?!). The recommendations I've seen suggest getting it during the rise in tide and never after a rain. Good luck an enjoy!

After I started using the NAS the coralline started growing all over the LR, corals, mushrooms and fish doing better than ever. I always get the NSW at a beach in state park were the water is great, few people there if any when I go. the water Chem. sg ALK are all good.

Back
Top Bottom