What I need for a quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mskohl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help me figure this out. I bought a ready made 45 gal fish and reef tank and now I think it has ich. What do I need to put together to quarantine?

Thanks in advance,
mskohl

That was helpful. I don't have bioballs in my tank now, I use the emperor 400. What should I do for bacteria?

You can place a sponge in your sump or you HOB filter for a few day and allow the bactieria to colonize on the sponge. Then just place the sponge in the filter of the qt tank and you should be good to go. Just make sure after you place the fish you keep an eye on ammonia, nitrate and PH. Water quality issue usually surface in a hospital setting, especially if it is overstocked.
Here is a pic of my 10 gallon qt tank.

Attachments

• 10gallonqt0001_100.jpg
    10gallonqt0001_100.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 56
I use the emperor 400. What should I do for bacteria?

Easier yet, assuming you have LR in the main reef for biofiltration, just hang the 400 onto the back of the QT. I did that when using hypo in QT for ich. That 400 will keep the tank spotless and very aerated with great flow for little QT. Keep the old filter pads in it, they're full of biofilter. Just remember you need to remove that if using meds. HTH... :wink:

I think I had a false alarm. I'm new at this, like I said, and today I was watching the Coral Beauty again and she had some specks. Then, she did a little wiggle and they fell off and floated to the sand. No other symptoms and no other fish show symptoms either.

But, just for future reference, if I use the emperor 400 on the QT, I need to take out the carbon filter and the poly filters? Will the hypo salinity kill the bacteria on the biowheels? How about if I use the copper treatment?

Thanks.

mskohl said:
But, just for future reference, if I use the emperor 400 on the QT, I need to take out the carbon filter and the poly filters? Will the hypo salinity kill the bacteria on the biowheels? How about if I use the copper treatment?
If you use hyposalinity (most recommended) as a treatment, the 400 can remain intact with the carbon and such. This will actually help with water quality, especailly if the floss is a true <<Polyfilter>>. Hyposalinity will retard the bacteria some as they are greatly affected by the changes in pH during the initial salinity drop. You must be especially careful to monitor pH and alk throughout the process as it will have a tendancey to fall some due to the diluted chemistry of the lowered salinity. The bacteria will however survive overall and help keep the QT water quality healthy.

With copper, the carbon and Polyfilter would need removing as it will sorb copper. If a simple floss material, it can stay. Bacteria are greatly affected by copper treatments and most will destroy the biofilter completely. Cupramine will allow some small amount of bacteria to survive but it is a slow process in rebuilding the cultures as the treatment progresses. You will need to rely mostly on daily (medicated) water changes to maintain water quality.

Cheers
Steve

to monitor pH and alk throughout the process
I have marine buffer and supper buffer to keep the pH up around 8.3 - this still correct for a quarantine tank? And, I guess I need to get an Alk test kit. What should I aim for on alk?
especailly if the floss is a true <<Polyfilter>>
That's what the package says. I just did a reorder from Drs. Fosters & Smith.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

mskohl said:
to monitor pH and alk throughout the process
I have marine buffer and supper buffer to keep the pH up around 8.3 - this still correct for a quarantine tank? And, I guess I need to get an Alk test kit. What should I aim for on alk?
Try to keep the alk upwards of 3 mEq/l but if the pH is not remaining stable you can take it up higher. In this particular instance, it's more important to maintain the pH than be concerned about a slightly higher alk. If you need to take the alk as high as 4 mEq/l in order to maintain a more stable pH, don't be afraid to do so.

especailly if the floss is a true <<Polyfilter>>
That's what the package says. I just did a reorder from Drs. Fosters & Smith.
Excellent product all round. It will definately help during the hyposalinity process.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom