Which Powerhead to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As always you think you know everything ( kidding :p ) and you come up with another question LOL

I have a 55 gallon reef in progress ( aka three little mushroom polyps) hope to expand when I get a bit more $$ ;)

I was thinking about getting a hydro-chor (chlor?) powerhead and wasn't exactly sure which to get. I was opting for the 4 which I believe is about 1000 gph. I already have a maxi jet 900 ( about 250 gph) in there as well as a penquin 400 running ( in addition to my LR and protein skimmer)

Would this be too much flow? ( Ive heard its almost impossible to have) or should I get a less gph? I think I'm starting to see some cyano with what I have, along side with the green algae ( which i'm working on...)

Thanks!!

Check out the Koralias. For a 55...maybe a 2 or a 3. I love mine. The magnet mount is awesome, and it projects a great, broad span of flow.

The Koralias will work fine in the 55. Having 2 1000gph ph in the tank will create a lot of flow but the nice thing about the koralias is they are wide gentle flow rather then a jet of water so I think you will be fine with them. I would have one on either end of the tank pointed at each other so the flow collides in the center of the tank.

I agree, the Hydors are nice, my snails and urchins crawl across them and don't get stuck.....

The Koralias will work fine in the 55. Having 2 1000gph ph in the tank will create a lot of flow but the nice thing about the koralias is they are wide gentle flow rather then a jet of water so I think you will be fine with them. I would have one on either end of the tank pointed at each other so the flow collides in the center of the tank.

Pretty much what I was going to say! The Koralias are well worth the money.

I have two HK #2, two HK #1, and a nano in a 65 gallon tank (3' long) with a QuietOne4000 return pump. I have no issues with too much flow. On a 4' tank, I would probably go with #3.

Thanks, thats what I was wondering. I'll probably go with a 3 then instead of a 4. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom