White film on the surface of the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ike the title says there is a thin white film on the surface of the water. The water also looks just a little cloudy.i started dosing vodka a couple weeks ago, this couldn't do it though right? I also run a skimmer. The is also a lot of surface circulation. How can I solve this problem? Nitrates are at 20 and dropping because of the vodka, but what's the film from? Thanks!

Try taking a paper towel, lay most of on the water at one end of the tank. While dragging to the other end of the tank slowly pull or roll it up the film should stick to the towel.

Most likely it's dissolved organics and proteins. If I remember, correctly you have a Coralife SuperSkimmer? If so, that's no where good enough for the fish load you have. I recommend you get a good skimmer.

Ya I do lol.... Sadly. The vodka is really bringing down the nitrates. It's doing a great job. I'll turn the skimmer up and see if that helps. Thx!!!!!

I just checked the skimmer and it's not foaming at all. Do you guys know of any good skimmers that actually work????? For ab150? And where could I get it cheapest because I can't spend a lot of money.

Sounds like your having a bacteria bloom. Vodka is a carbon source that feeds nitrifying bacteria, however it also feeds and fuels other bacteria in the system not limited to but including cyanobacteria.

Your skimmer may not be keeping up but the problem lies in the vodka. Of course upgrading your skimmer can never hurt your tank :)

The thing is the skimmer isn't making ANY foam. It's ALL water. If I could fix this I would love to. What do you suggest? The vodka wouldn't screw up the skimmer right? I've never heard of that before. How can i fix it? What should i do?

Your skimmer could be reacting to the bloom. And it could be killing foam production. Is your pump working properly and taking in air creating bubbles? If so then its probably ok. I wouldnt be so quick to say the problem is your skimmer because it could very well be the result if the bloom. I would stop dosing vodka for the time being and do a waterchange to see if that doesnt help things.

Yes I've tried blowing into it. It forces air out of the pump and the level drops. I see bubbles in the skimmer but they're not coming out as strong as they used to. Shoul I maybe try a different pump? And for te vodka, I will eventually be able to dose again correct? I really need it for nitrate reduction.

I would take the skimmer apart soak in vinegar bath clean it up real good make sure nothing is clogged and then try it

You would be able to yes but doing so right now probably would not have good results. Do water changes immediately. That is the original way of getting rid of nitrates and always works ya know. Also look into biopellets, vodka is risky and can cause further problems, like this one. Biopellets are much safer and no guess work.

I know you said you have plenty of surface movement. If your water movers are not already pointed up toward the surface do so. I've been able to to keep film down to a small patch that is driving me nuts. But, it's 100% better than it once was. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom