Yikes! Impulse Buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMadNucleus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yep, even those who should know better get sucked right into that vortex. You stop into a LFS to pick up $2.98 bag of floss and whack, you're struck by one beautiful fish just callin' out your name. You turn away, because you certainly know better, and besides, there's plenty of better things to spend the money on, like food. But before you know it your $200 bucks down and walkin' out of the place without the filter floss and instead a plastic bag full of water, a new little charge some compressed O2 and a nervous smile on your face.

I just bought a Harlequin Tusk (Francesca Scalpi) - about 4.5 inches big, one of the nicest I've ever seen and the LFS (since she knows I'm a sucker and will be back for more) reduced his price from 250 to 200.

Well, the photo is not him (it's from the web) but he looks almost exactly like this. A few nervous moments adjusting but everything seems good now. He's in my 125 with 4 others. :) Click the photo to enlarge

Australian or Indo? Congrats on the Harlequin, I think they are a pretty neat wrasse. I know how you feel, I once walked out of a LFS with a Goldflake Angel and a Golden Puffer with $450 + tax, less in my wallet.
The Harlequin that I have eats frozen, pellets, flakes & Nori.

Pecan2Phat

I think it's the Australian - foolish - I didn't even ask - but I did notice while I was researching him (I knew a bit about the fish so it was'nt total impulse :) ) that the Australians have more intense color and a red band at the end of their caudal fin - such is the case with Harold (hmm guess he just got a name - unpretentious, unassuming and yet a bit fitting for his behavior :)

Anyway thanks for the congrgats (and I guess sympathy for my afliction :)

Tom

dear fish

WOW, thats about a million dollars australian 8O lol.
I'm just sort of happy that i can take the boat 5 minutes off the local beach and catch them at the nearest reef.
I hope he treats you good and he gives you years of fun.
I just lost my entire tank of fish :cry: :cry:
Will leave the tank dormant for a month and start again, ITCH sucks!!
kell

prices must be cheaper here, my store has the same exact fish for 140, but for that fish i'd pay 200 also

Tusk's are only $110.00 here. However that one is quite nice.

At that price I really hope you got the Aussie, if not you need to slap the LFS owner, I am assuming prices on these guys have gone up or they have always been expensive in NY. Can't wait to see pics of yours, very cool fish!!!

reefrunner69 said:
At that price I really hope you got the Aussie, if not you need to slap the LFS owner, I am assuming prices on these guys have gone up or they have always been expensive in NY. Can't wait to see pics of yours, very cool fish!!!

They must have gone up, a lot. I paid 90 bucks for mine 8O

Wow - thx for all the great comments. And yep, they are pretty pricy here in Westchester where everything is like 2 to 3 times more then anywhere else. As a matter of fact, funny side note, when I do my taxes using automated software it always gives me a warning that my taxes are way out of line for the norm (unless you live in Westchester County :)

Anyway - yeah confirmed - He's an Australian also measured him Last night roughly as he rested near the front of the tank - as best as I can tell he's actually about 5.75 Inches. Are all these posted prices for such large cuties, cuz the same LFS had a 3 Inch one in another tank for 165 (She probably would have given that one to me for about 125).

Tom

Yup...If you look in my gallery, you will see a pic of TYSON, my tuskfish. Taken last year sometime right after i got her. She is swimming by an oyster shell half with yellow pollyps. The oyster shell is over 4 inches long, so you can see how big she is. Funny thing is, i have been looking for a suitable home for her for a while now. Too bad you didnt see my posts :? cause i live in dutchess, and work in westchester.

Yikes! Another Screw-up in the sometimes wild, madcap, world of TheMadNucleus.

When things are looking best - watch out - someone likely has a better deal. Oh well - Tyson Looks cool and has a cool name but as is the case generally with me....... A dollar too short a day too late :roll:

Stressco - you ever been in the shop in Greenwhich ( www.houseoffins.com ) - really wild - they have an 800 gallon tank in the back with a few sharks - really wild - they do not sell them but they supply the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium on occasion.

Generally really cool shop - a bit pricy though. Another cool place is in Stamford - www.reefandfin.com. The owners there are really great in many respects. In the window, Chris, the owner, has is pride an joy a 600 gallon Reef Tank - also worth visiting.

Chat later - hope all is well in Westchester - I'm in Stamford today. :)

Tom

Great fish....I was always told that they are not invert safe. If thats not true, I know where my next 150.00 is going. Anyone have any info on that?

Squishy

Stresco,

I would take her off your hands! I have a 175 reef that she would love. I'll pay for shipping if your serious.

Squishy

SquishyFish said:
Great fish....I was always told that they are not invert safe. If thats not true, I know where my next 150.00 is going. Anyone have any info on that?

Squishy

Squishy,
They are NOT invert safe. My Harlequin hunted down every thing that moved on my LR. It was like crab haven @ all you can eat at Red Lobster!

I am serious, but she is promised to another reefer at the moment in Louisiana. Im just waiting for the weather to break up here before i ship her down there. But you never know, she may decide against taking her next month. If so, ill keep yo in mind. And as far as being invert safe :? well, i make sure that she is well feed before i add new inverts into the tank, then i only add the ones that are bigger than her mouth. Still, with her and the eel, i am constantly buying critters for my tank. She will also attack and eat small fish, so you need to be carefull on what you add into the tank.

Tom, i havent made it over to Greenwhich yet, but i do frequent a LFS call Exotic Fish and Aquariums on Route 9 in Wappengers falls, that has serveral large tanks with sharks and rays.

Funny how we are convinced of the sexes of our respective Tusks - You refer to Tyson as She and I refer to Harold as He :)

These fish belong to a small set of fish which are not sexually dichromatic or dimorphic. I guess the owners can just tell.

Hehehehe, i guess. But I have read that the Harlaquin Tuskfish starts out as female, and the most dominant of the group will change its sex to male. He will be the only male of the group until he dies, then the next most dominant female will change her sex, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom