10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black_eyed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon with one male betta right now. i am expecting the cycle to be done in a couple of weeks. i would love to have him in a community tank, but i am not sure what other fish can live happily in such a small tank!

fish i like are:
black neon tetras
neon tetras
rasboras
dwarf gouramis
panda corys

others i like, but not as much are:
zebra dinos
cherry barbs
ottos

if someone could give me advice on which of these fish would be happy and how many i would great appreciate it! :) thank you for your time!

could i have two neon tetras, two black neon tetras, a dwarf gourami and an a cory?

Of the fish you mentioned, I think the black neons, rasboras, panda corys, and otos are the best choices. Neons prefer cooler temps so wouldn't be a good idea IMO. I would definitely avoid any gourami with a betta. They are just too territorial to be kept peacefully together.

Just some advice about the cories: I wouldn't suggest getting just one. Get 3 at least of the same type. They like to be in groups. Mine swim around together and really seem to enjoy each others company. I have a betta right now in my 55 gallon, but have never had one in a 10 gallon. I would make sure you add other fish slowly, I think it depends on the betta you have on how wlel it will get along with the other fish, they each seem to have their own personality. The cories should definately be fine with it, and the black neon tetras as well. From what I know of black neon tetras though, they also like to be kept in groups of 6 or more, which is something to think about. I think the rasboras get a bit bigger than the tetras you mentioned, so that may be something to consider in a smaller tank. It's not hugely different though. And the neon tetras would probably be fine too. I would not put the gourami with the betta. Also, barbs an be fin nippers, and especially in a small tank, would probably not be good with a betta, as they would probably nip at its fins.

It seemes as though you want to have a variety of fish in there, but I strongly recommend getting the cories and 1 other type of fish so you can have a small school of whatever you get. The fish will be happier with more of their own than with 1-2 fish of a few different species.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice.

i THINK i want 4 black neons (isnt that enough, i do know 6 is better.
and i know i would rather have ottos than corys. couldnt i just have two? i read somewhere that they are schooling but will do fine in twos or threes...

is this over stocked?
1 male betta
4 black neons
2 ottos
1 golden snail

or is this better
1 male betta
6 black neons
1 otto (i dont think i can have just one though!)

I'd had two otos, lost one and the remaining one literally seemed depressed until I got him a friend again. So if it were me, I'd at least get two. Just keep in mind, your 10 gallon tank may not support enough algae for them and you may have to supplement them.

is this over stocked?
1 male betta
4 black neons
2 ottos
1 golden snail

I would just leave out the otos and then that stock list sounds workable to me. Otos are quite sensitive to water conditions FWIW so I think in a 10G with the other fish you're after you'd be best leaving them out. Black neons, in my experience, won't school with other types of tetra such as neons or cardinals so there's no point in a mixed bag which might have been an option with other species (e.g. 2 neon + 2 cardinal).

I think...

1x Male betta
4x Black neon
1x Golden Snail

...is plenty enough for a 10G. If you planted it up nice the black neons will really show up well!

Back
Top Bottom