10g for $5.99! Quarantine tank ?'s.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good idea. I've been thinking about doing that b/c i think i might make it a fry tank. How long do you think until i could put fish in it? Or what numbers do i need for it to be safe?

good idea. I've been thinking about doing that b/c i think i might make it a fry tank. How long do you think until i could put fish in it? Or what numbers do i need for it to be safe?
For a fry tank, not too long. But it depends. If you are gonna put the filter cartridge that is currently in your 29 into the 10 gallon filter, I'd say a week or two. To monitor the levels in the tank during cycling, use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. If you wanted to start from scratch and do the old fashioned fishless cycle, it could take up to 2 months.

Ok, just set up my 10g for the fry! I'm going to put the filter media from m 29g in there. How long should I leave it? Also which part should I stick in there, the carbon, the foam thing or the cream rock things? Sorry, not sure of the official names off the top of my head.

View attachment 87721

Is there something else I should put in here? I have the API water test kit, when should I do my first test?

Thank you! :D

Ok, just set up my 10g for the fry! I'm going to put the filter media from m 29g in there. How long should I leave it? Also which part should I stick in there, the carbon, the foam thing or the cream rock things? Sorry, not sure of the official names off the top of my head.

View attachment 87721

Is there something else I should put in here? I have the API water test kit, when should I do my first test?

Thank you! :D
1. Leave it in until it falls apart. That cartridge contains an intense amount of beneficial bacteria, and they must have time to reproduce and grow.

2. Stick in as much as you can. The more beneficial bacteria, the better.

3. I would put in some rocks, and/or some fake bushy plants. I would most recommend some Java Moss, it's great for fry, they hide in it.

4. Take the first test right away.

Thank you! Will test in the morning.

What numbers am i looking for for ph & nitrates? I know i want ammonia and nitrites at 0. How will i know when the water is safe for fish?

! I'm pretty excited to have a tank full of fry, eventually!

Thank you! Will test in the morning.

What numbers am i looking for for ph & nitrates? I know i want ammonia and nitrites at 0. How will i know when the water is safe for fish?

! I'm pretty excited to have a tank full of fry, eventually!
The best pH, of course, is neutral (7.0). But my cousin and I have had great success when our pH is 8.0-8.2! Personally, pH is overrated when it comes to livebearers. What's really important is that whatever pH is, it must remain stable.

NitrAtes should always be <40 ppm, but I like (and my fish like) it when it is below 20 ppm.

Your tank will be ready when the ammonia and nitrItes are down, and when nitrAtes begin to rise. What is gonna happen is that the ammonia is gonna rise with no bacteria to eat it. When the ammonia-eating bacteria DO arrive, they will eat the ammonia and excrete nitrIte. At this point your ammonia will decrease and your nitrIte will spike. Then the nitrIe-eating bacteria arrive, and they will eat the nitrItes and excrete the much less deadly nitrAte. At this point you should have a low reading (If any reading) of both ammonia and nitrIte, and nitrAtes will begin to rise.

Back
Top Bottom