10g stock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a recently cycled 10g tank with just a Betta in it. My male Betta has been paired with other fish and he was fine and didn't flair up at them so I was thinking about getting a school of tetras. Maybe 7-8 bleeding hearts? What do you think? I have a tetra whisper 10 as my filter and sand/substrate that is in the process of being planted. Opinions?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

I probably wouldn't do bleeding hearts with him. I know people have success with smaller tetras maybe neon, lemon, Cardinal. You could try white cloud minnows or celestial pearl danios if you can find them and have a planted tank.

I probably wouldn't do bleeding hearts with him. I know people have success with smaller tetras maybe neon, lemon, Cardinal. You could try white cloud minnows or celestial pearl danios if you can find them and have a planted tank.

+1 and bleeding hearts are one of the larger tetras. Too much bioload for a 10g IMO.

If you like frogs you could try ADF :D

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

+1 and bleeding hearts are one of the larger tetras. Too much bioload for a 10g IMO.

If you like frogs you could try ADF :D

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

+1 I always kinda wanted to try this myself and thought it would be cool but what do you think about your betta with a school of cories

The main reason I wanted to try bleeding hearts was because I have a red/black theme with my room and tanks. Are there any tetras that are small and would fit in a 10g with a Betta?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

The main reason I wanted to try bleeding hearts was because I have a red/black theme with my room and tanks. Are there any tetras that are small and would fit in a 10g with a Betta?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

You can try neons/cardinals.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

Yes, Neons are a sensitive/fragile tetra with the red stripe going across his "neon" blue body. Cardinals are the hardier cousin, be careful if you look for cardinals and buy neons by accident. They look very very similar. Good luck man. Hope to see a picture update soon. :)

Yes, Neons are a sensitive/fragile tetra with the red stripe going across his "neon" blue body. Cardinals are the hardier cousin, be careful if you look for cardinals and buy neons by accident. They look very very similar. Good luck man. Hope to see a picture update soon. :)

Neons are hardy if you get a good stock and a healthy tank.

I bought 10 and added to my community tank from a PETSMART and had ZERO losses.

It just depends on their health and the condition of your tank/acclimation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Neons are hardy if you get a good stock and a healthy tank.

I bought 10 and added to my community tank from a PETSMART and had ZERO losses.

It just depends on their health and the condition of your tank/acclimation.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah that's true, but I meant fragile as in if something were to happen. Don't be too devastated or question it so much because they're just not the hardiest tetras out there

Aqadvisor says not to put cherry barbs with tiger barbs, and i have both in 45g and my tigers never bother them at all. The calculator is programmed so that each fish has a variable for aggression, like A,B,C, and D and if an A is with a C it will advise against it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cardinals also get larger then the neons, lThis why their fine with angel fish, anyway I would do neons if their going in a 10g, not cardinals. The larger the tetra, the more needed swimming room

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

AqAdvisor is just a general stocking advisor for beginners. It recognizes bettas as highly aggressive and recommends very few things as able to be kept with them.

In the end it will depend on the personality of the Betta. It could always turn into Mebbid's and one day just decide to attack everything after being peaceful for months. Or Nigel's that can't be kept with anything.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

AqAdvisor is just a general stocking advisor for beginners. It recognizes bettas as highly aggressive and recommends very few things as able to be kept with them.

In the end it will depend on the personality of the Betta. It could always turn into Mebbid's and one day just decide to attack everything after being peaceful for months. Or Nigel's that can't be kept with anything.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Or it could turn out to be like my last betta and be the most peaceful fish in existence. You never know with them.

As long as you know your betta is ok with tank mates then yes cardinals should be fine. They're cute active little things.

When I last bought my betta I was checking them all out observing their personalities. They get some really nice bettas in for a wholesale store and I choose there's because they actually have a constant overflow display system for them so their bettas are healthy. I was looking for one that was a little more peaceful and I got that definitely. Still likes to munch on RCS but he wasn't flaring at other bettas and was mr cool.

I'd skip the cardinals and go with a nano type of fish.

Ember tetras
Celestial pearl danios
Dwarf emerald rasboras
Chili rasboras

Lots of other smaller options but these might be the easiest to find (although still uncommon).

Thanks all! Right now I'm in between ember tetras and white cloud minnows. Which would better and how many should I get of the school?

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

Which ever you like. Id get at least 5. Maybe 6 or 7

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom