10gal species tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey folks, i finally got to see some dwarf puffers in person today and i can see why everybody loves them. i was thinking about setting up a ten gallon species tank for them, but from the info i've gathered so far, i can't tell if a species tank would be a good idea. can a group of a half dozen or so in a planted 10 gal? what would be some good tank mates for a small tank like this? tia

I believe a species tank is what you would want; although, 6 may be too many in the tank. If you go for puffers, do not add tank mates.

yeah id go with 4-5. i kepy 3 in my 5 gallon and they did great. but one got stuck in the filter and uhh. deceased. now everyones happy in the 5 gallon.

when i was adding the 3rd puffer i was worried about the other puffers nipping it but imo their really social creatures (to their own kinds)

and yeah no other tankmates besides otos some some other exceptions.

6-8 will be fine. I've got mine in a 10.

They do fine with shrimp. I have 2 amanos in with mine. As long as they're a fair bit larger than the puffers, they won't be eaten.

i'll probably go with five and plant the tank pretty well. i think two gallons per puffer is reasonable. i might try a pair or otos and amano shrimp as well. i don't have any equipment for the 10 gal, but i was thinking an AC150 and a small heater would suffice. i'll probably use java moss, java fern (narrow leaf, most likely) hygrophila difformis, and maybe an anubias or sword species. i'm debating on whether i should go with the AHS 2x13 kit for lighting. it's cheap, so i'll probably do it. i'll have a manifold on the co2 tank for the 85gal aquarium so the 10gal will also have co2 injected as well. my plan was so use a Rio50 and make a DIY Votex diffusor. i haven't set up a small tank in a while, but am i missing anything?

If you get shrimp, don't forget to get some Kent iodine. Add one drop per 5gal. This helps them shed their shells when molting.Everything else sounds great! :wink:

I have a dwarf puffer tank and I have two cories, tetras and danios with mine. I know it's not conventional but everyone is living very happily together.

Back
Top Bottom