11 Gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qays

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

I have an 11 gallon tank that has been set up and running for a few months.
Its overfiltered with a Fluval 2+ and its 18x12x12

It currently contains 5 neons and 5 guppies.
Im planning on adding 3 Aeneus Corydoras.

do you think it will it be fully stocked after i add the cories?

Thanks

Most would say that would be slightly over crowded. If it were me I'd do just neons or just guppies and add some corys for the bottom. However, if you're willing to change the water every 2 to 3 days you could probably pull off the above plan for stocking the tank.

You'll be fine with the cories. I've got 2 guppy tanks that are "ovestocked" and well cycled and don't have water changes for months. The water tests perfect. People like to overestimate bioload when you ask stocking questions.

DepotFish said:
You'll be fine with the cories. I've got 2 guppy tanks that are "ovestocked" and well cycled and don't have water changes for months. The water tests perfect. People like to overestimate bioload when you ask stocking questions.

Thanks for the advice.

I also feel the advice before yours was a little extreme. Thanks though!

Do you think that 5 guppies, 5 neons and 3 cories will be fully stocked, and no further fish can be added?

I do water changes weekly

I would say that would be it. Most of the fish will be small when you get them, so it's wise to leave a little extra room for growth. With 5 guppies, I would recommend 2 males and 3 females, or all males. With a mix, you'll soon have more than 5 guppies!

The aeneus cories get big (for cories, anyway), if you have a choice maybe some of the smaller species (habrosus, julii, panda cories etc) might be happier in the long run. I have 2 habrosus in my 5.5 gallon and they are a riot to watch.

Thanks alot newfound!!

The guppies i have are all males. 5 Is the minimum for all males, or i would get aggression.

My lfs only sells julii, aeneus and peppered. But the julii are way expencive! I dont know if there would be much difference.

I do wish my lfs sold pandas and pygmy's though!

I hope the bronze cories should be ok, they generally get to 2.5" and the tank is 18" long, so i guess they should be ok?

I think you'll be fine just keep up with weekly water changes. Watch your levels for the first few months and make sure your water changes are appropriate.

I also think that you will be fine, as long as you do not follow the advice of "don't have water changes for months." Fishy Fanatics's advice was right on point.

As everyone else is saying, as long as you do pwc and watch your tank, I think the fish should be fine ^^ When you have it all settled, I'd like to see pictures. I can't get guppies since I know I would end up having them breed on me like crazy -_- But we all like seeing pictures of tanks ^-^

Well, the water is tested often enough, but why do weekly changes if there is nothing wrong. I wasn't givng that as advice on what to do with the tank, I was just illustrating the small bioload.

I think there is nothing better you can do for your fish than weekly water changes. They live in streams and rivers in the wild, they are used to freshwater all the time.

I've got 2 guppy tanks that are "ovestocked" and well cycled and don't have water changes for months. The water tests perfect.
rich311k is right, the point of weekly water changes has less to do with water parameters testing fine. You could live in a house and never leave for weeks, months, years and never open a window or door or go outside. You will still have oxygen and the air quality in your home would be fine; stale, but fine.

My lfs only sells julii, aeneus and peppered. But the julii are way expencive! I dont know if there would be much difference.
I do wish my lfs sold pandas and pygmy's though!
I hope the bronze cories should be ok, they generally get to 2.5" and the tank is 18" long, so i guess they should be ok?
Too bad about the unavailability of pygmies :( Bronze cories would be okay, as would the peppered cories.

I was not trying ti shut you down Depot Fish. I should have stressed IMO. I think that especially if you are worried about overstocking, why not due weekly PWC. Why wait until something is wrong?

I agree that if your willing to do the water changes every couple days then you'll be fine, but you will have to keep up on them otherwise your tank is going to go downhill quick

You don't need to do them every couple of days. Once a week is fine as long as the Nitrates stay in an acceptable range.

Thanks for the advice!!!

I do weekly water changes of 25%.

Yeah, i wish they had pygmy's too, because then i could have a few more, and they'd be happier.

Will the Cories be ok in a group of 3?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom