20 gallon long stocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since the 55 gallon that I was suppose to be getting fell through, I'm giving my 6 cichlids to a friend that can care for them better. This leaves me with a fully established 20 gallon long to re-stock. I want a colorful variety of fish with as many different variety's as possible. Any suggestions?

What are you interested in?
Livebearers, tetras, rasboras, some barbs, gourami, cories, some loaches.....etc.
A good combo for community tanks is a school for the bottom, school (or two) for the mid-top and a centre piece fish.

What are you interested in?
Livebearers, tetras, rasboras, some barbs, gourami, cories, some loaches.....etc.
A good combo for community tanks is a school for the bottom, school (or two) for the mid-top and a centre piece fish.

I like live bearers but I already have a platy tank that is keeping my hands full. I'm still relatively new to aquariums so I'm not familiar with alot of fish yet, generally just what I see at the LFS. I really want fish with bright colors that will stand out. Several small schools would be ideal.

Some smaller schooling fish for a 20g long include danios (including glofish), rummynose, lemon, neon, cardinal, black neon and glow light tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, white cloud mountain minnows and male guppies.
For centre piece fish there are Bettas, dwarf gouramis, sparkling gouramis, honey gouramis, single molly or platy.
Bottom feeders include kuhli loaches, cories, shrimp, bristlenose pleco.
Not all those are compatible but that's what I could think of.

Some smaller schooling fish for a 20g long include danios (including glofish), rummynose, lemon, neon, cardinal, black neon and glow light tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, white cloud mountain minnows and male guppies.
For centre piece fish there are Bettas, dwarf gouramis, sparkling gouramis, honey gouramis, single molly or platy.
Bottom feeders include kuhli loaches, cories, shrimp, bristlenose pleco.
Not all those are compatible but that's what I could think of.

I forgot to mention that there is a bristlenose pleco in there already. At least the lady that sold him to me said he's a bristlenose. So far no bristles tho. I'll google the fish that you listed and see if anything strikes my fancy. I really wanted to do scarlet badis but i'd need to research tank mates for them. Thanks!

I was thinking of adding Kuhli Loaches but I read that they need sand so they can dig. I have small rock substrate, is there no way I could have loaches with this?

I have a black khuli loach...I know it's bad to keep them without others, but he was the only one left they could find in the tank at the store :(. He does just fine with normal aquarium gravel. He used to dig, but now that I've added some "caves" for him he prefers those. You could do like...3 khuli's for the "bottom school" as mumma said. Then pick out a fish you like for the top school. And get a male scarlet badis for your centerpiece!
There are some cool schooling fish here, and even some awesome center piece fish! Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish - German Blue Rams, Cichlids & Labyrinth Fish, Rainbowfish and Blue-eyes

Since the 55 gallon that I was suppose to be getting fell through, I'm giving my 6 cichlids to a friend that can care for them better.

I just wanted to say thanks for doing the right thing for your fish..... (y)

ccross said:
I was thinking of adding Kuhli Loaches but I read that they need sand so they can dig. I have small rock substrate, is there no way I could have loaches with this?

Gravel substrate should be fine. As said provide them with plenty of hiding spots. The more hiding spots and the more in their group the more you will see them. I'd suggest 5-6 (or more).

I just wanted to say thanks for doing the right thing for your fish..... (y)

It wasnt easy giving them away. I was kind of attached to my yellow labs but, they will be happy in their new home :)

I might actually go with Otocinclus for the bottom instead of khuli's. Anyone have experience with them?

I would suggest some sword tails. Either that or Golden White Clouds.... They are all very hardy.

Otos aren't really bottom dwellers. They will not scavenge like the kuhlis will but rather they are excellent algae eaters. They spend most of their time resting on leaves or stuck to the side walls of the tank.

I would suggest some sword tails. Either that or Golden White Clouds.... They are all very hardy.

I was thinking a few sword tails. Are they live bearers like platy's? If so, how do I keep them from breeding like crazy? Just get all male or female?

I don't have any myself ($10-12 each here!). Most are wild caught so can be hard to supplement. For this reason a mature tank of 6 months old or more is needed to supply them with enough food. Some have success feeding them zucchini or cucumber after lights out.

(boy you guts post quick! Lol)

Live bearers don't appeal as much as egg-layers to me; with the exceptions of guppies and endlers, I prefer tetras and other fast moving fish that are active and spunky. I also like fish that aren't kept as ofter. I think the scarlet badis would be sweet as I said before. But otos are really awesome fish. Think of a small pleco that resembles more of a cory. They always wink at me <3

Hi, I've got three otto's in my 65litre tank. They're brilliant little fellas!
They flit around and don't bother with (or get bothered by) the tank mates - a Betta, 3 mollies, 3 apple snails, 2 assassin snails and 3 kuhli loaches.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes they are livebearers. You can keep all one sex to avoid fry.

if you are going to do all 1 sex with swordtails .. go with female, I keep them and with multiple males you are just asking for aggression issues

I think I might have to get a few otto's :) Will they mix well with cory's?

Back
Top Bottom