20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to ask a question that bugs many a' aquariusts. I have a 20 gallon tank that will soon be empty, and I am wondering what to put in it. I would liike something that would breed and live with its babies without eating them. Either that, or fish with interesting or exciting habits. Most of all, I want to have fish that will stay small enough to thrive in the 20 gallon. Thank you any input will be appreciated, even if it doesnt fit the catergories I suggested.
Yours Truly,
Fishstixs05

I don't think there's any species that's absolutely guaranteed not to eat the babies, although granted there are some that aren't too bad about it. What about some Blue Rams and some Corys? They'll both breed if conditions are right and neither has a really bad habit of eating the fry. Or maybe some Dwarf Gouramis?

My personal choice would be Pelvachromis Pulcher (Kribensis).

They stay small enough to fit comfortably in the 20G, they are also great parents.

And as far as interesting and exciting habits go, the 'show' that they put on for each other during the mating ritual, fascinates my whole family.

The female's belly changes to a deep burgundy color, and she will arch herself sideways to make herself look big and round (probably to signal that she is full of eggs). Then they both take turns swimming in front of each other and 'jiggling'
(My daughter says that it looks like they are being electrocuted).

If the conditions are right, it takes no time at all... I introduced a male Kribensis to my tank, we found eggs after 3 days and had about 40 fry within 10 days.

Thanks both loganj and targaboy78 for your advice! targaboy, I already have a pair of Kriensis (see my post "how long"), so thanks anyway.
Yours Truly,
Fishstixs05

Back
Top Bottom