20g stocking opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markiezzi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I am currently working on stocking my 20g tank. It is a standard 20g not a long or high. Currently I have 1 albino cory and 2 zebra danios I would like to add the following:

6 - Boesemani Rainbowfish
1 - Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail
6 - Ghost Shrimp
4 - Neon Tetras
1 - Bristlenose Catfish
1 - Dwarf Flame Gourami (center piece)

Please give me your opinions on my list if I should take out or change anything. From what I researched they should all be compatible fish. Filtration is a hang on the back 20g filter. Substrate is black gravel. A few plastic plants.

Thanks

First of all boesmani rainbows need to be in tanks that are at lest four feet long so they wont work. second neons tetras need to be schools of at least 6 so i recommend that you up your school of neons to 12 and add one more platy or swordtail. it is also possible that your gourami will eat you ghost shrimp depends on the gourami.

markiezzi said:
Hello,

I am currently working on stocking my 20g tank. It is a standard 20g not a long or high. Currently I have 1 albino cory and 2 zebra danios I would like to add the following:

6 - Boesemani Rainbowfish
1 - Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail
6 - Ghost Shrimp
4 - Neon Tetras
1 - Bristlenose Catfish
1 - Dwarf Flame Gourami (center piece)

Please give me your opinions on my list if I should take out or change anything. From what I researched they should all be compatible fish. Filtration is a hang on the back 20g filter. Substrate is black gravel. A few plastic plants.

Thanks

First you need to up your school of albino cories to at least 4 (even 6) and the danio school to 6.
The rainbows aren't suited to a 20g tank.
If you get neons you will need at least 6 but 10+ is better.
Even without the rainbows your proposed stock list is about twice as much as the tank can handle IMO.

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know about the rainbow fish. Basically I am trying to put together a colorful tank. I do like the neon tetras I was thinking of a betta instead of gourami but not sure if it will be ok with the filter and air stone water flow. I revised my list so hopefully this will not be to much for the tank. I have mainly been a bigger tank guy with 1 55g fresh tank and 1 55g salt tank I am finding that working with smaller tanks is a little more challenging as far as stocking. Thank you for your input and help.

Here is my revised list:

1 - Lyretail Swordfish
6 - Neon Tetras
1 - Bristlenose Catfish
4 - Albino Cories
6 - Zebra Danios
1 - Dwarf Flame Gourami or Betta

trying to get a balance of bottom swimmers and middle swimmers the reference site I am using (liveaquaria.com) doesn't really tell me their swimming habits. What is a good reference site for freshwater fish?

Thanks

markiezzi said:
Hi,

Thank you for letting me know about the rainbow fish. Basically I am trying to put together a colorful tank. I do like the neon tetras I was thinking of a betta instead of gourami but not sure if it will be ok with the filter and air stone water flow. I revised my list so hopefully this will not be to much for the tank. I have mainly been a bigger tank guy with 1 55g fresh tank and 1 55g salt tank I am finding that working with smaller tanks is a little more challenging as far as stocking. Thank you for your input and help.

Here is my revised list:

1 - Lyretail Swordfish
6 - Neon Tetras
1 - Bristlenose Catfish
4 - Albino Cories
6 - Zebra Danios
1 - Dwarf Flame Gourami or Betta

trying to get a balance of bottom swimmers and middle swimmers the reference site I am using (liveaquaria.com) doesn't really tell me their swimming habits. What is a good reference site for freshwater fish?

Thanks

Much better :)
IMO its still slightly too much. I'd say the gourami or Betta, danios (watch them with bettas they can nip), cories and neons to begin with. See if you and your tank can handle the bioload, then if it can, choose between the bristlenose and swordtail.

I am unfamiliar with the swordfish. But if you went with a Betta they can get aggressive with neons. I know first hand so have a backup plan. Dwarf gourami's somewhat. But I know myself and others that have had them not last very long. There are other fish that have color. I would drop the danios and switch them for dwarf Praecox rainbows. I think they would be ok in a 20 long. I love there color and I find they aren't fin nippers. Definately I would go 5-6 Pygmy corys. For the place some driftwood. Hornwort or java moss would look nice or star moss(Christmas moss) there's a lot you could do. For a centerpiece you could go pearl or opaline gourami. I think momma might know better then me

I would take the dwarf gourami, then up the school of cories to six or eight. I would also consider eight cories and eight neons then no zebra danios, but it is totally up to you. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going with the dwarf gourami since I don't want the danios to nip at the betta. I will hold off on the swordtail and bristlenose like mumma.of.two suggested and see how my bioload is. Since I will have so many cories there may not be a need for the bristlenose.

Back
Top Bottom