3rd generation of baby guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LondonGman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put my pregnant female guppy in the breeder thingy this morning and returned home from work to a full tank of babies.

I think I have worked out how to get the timing right for when guppies are about to give birth within a day
  • 1. Their bellies get very large and slightly long which makes the side the profile of the underside of their belly to look a bit flat
    2. The female guppy starts to look for quiet hiding spot near the gravel to give birth
    3. the large dark spot on either side and to the rear of the female starts to look slightly specked. These are the babies
Now this is the third batch of guppies that I have been able keep. The first batch I gave to a friend. I only had 9 survivors from the second batch which are currently growing nicely in my tank.

I wonder what i am going to do with these babies. I might give my mum a tank with guppies for Xmas. Also my other sister. friend, work collegues etc etc all get guppies

1: baby fry 2: teenagers 3: parents

3-gen-of-guppies.jpg

LOL Cheap n easy Xmas pressies huh Gman. And are you gonna supply the tanks and filter and food too? ;)

*grins* Should work something out with Terry.

It is nice to see the guppy fry. In this instance, I was particularly happy that got the timing right and I did not stress the mum out for too long,

However, I do not have hungry Oscars and I did not particularly plan for the female to have the babies, I now a the same dilemma I have every time I have guppy fry

- If they all grow to full size, I will not be able to keep them all in the tank.
- Whilst they are in the floating tank, they will never grow much in it and the air stone that I will add to it only helps a little
- If I let them out of the floating tank, they will be hunted down and killed by the cardinals unless they are really big.
- To feed them, I have to lift the hood and condensation tray to reach them, aggravation.
- I do not want a second tank and if I did, I would want something other than more guppies in it.
- I gave 6 guppy fry to a friend and 5 turned out to be female and not the fancy males

“Luckily”, one of my friends has lost most of his fishes due to poor maintainace. I could give them to him. Otherwise they are Xmas presents for my friends or cardinals. It is very weird seeing half a guppy fry sticking out of the mouth of a cardinal so hope my friend has them

Back
Top Bottom