Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southeast New Hampshire
Posts: 179
46 gal bow front- need help choosing a filter

I have a dilemma choosing the right canister for my tank. I currently have an eheim 2211 and it is no longer keeping up with the bio load and it can't circulate enough water fast enough to keep it clean. I also tend to have this recurring problem with green algae. Haha

I am considering the 2217 and the 2215. Which would be the better investment?

I don't want to stress out my fish with too much flow either. Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated. :]

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

__________________
"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Scottishscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dcutl002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Smithfield, Va.
Posts: 1,412
The 2217 if you can afford it. Both filters will do the job.


Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishscales View Post
I have a dilemma choosing the right canister for my tank. I currently have an eheim 2211 and it is no longer keeping up with the bio load and it can't circulate enough water fast enough to keep it clean. I also tend to have this recurring problem with green algae. Haha

I am considering the 2217 and the 2215. Which would be the better investment?

I don't want to stress out my fish with too much flow either. Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated. :]

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

I had a 2217. Worked well on my 180 Rio. If you were growing plants is say go bigger but for less stress to fish the 2217 will do the job and it comes with a spray bar to spread the flow out.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southeast New Hampshire
Posts: 179
Thanks all for your input. I went with the 2217 just for better filtration and larger capacity for different medias. I'm also going to be using my old eheim 2211 hopefully as a sub filter to add extra big particle filtration or even as a sub filter after the new one full of polishing pads.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn
__________________
"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Scottishscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishscales View Post
Thanks all for your input. I went with the 2217 just for better filtration and larger capacity for different medias. I'm also going to be using my old eheim 2211 hopefully as a sub filter to add extra big particle filtration or even as a sub filter after the new one full of polishing pads.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

Good stuff. You won't be disappointed.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southeast New Hampshire
Posts: 179
Got my 2217 in the mail yesterday! I opened up the box and holy crap is that filter big compared to my 2211 hahaha :] getting it all set up today so hopefully you'll hear a sub filter success story

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn
__________________
"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Scottishscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,594
My first canister was a big surprise when it arrived. The SIZE! Compared to everything else I had ever used. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southeast New Hampshire
Posts: 179
Successful sub filter! I had to turn on the sub filters pump to get the new filter to pump bevause the classics dont have priming capability but then I shut it off and voila! It's pumping water like a champ

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466898137167.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	287512  
__________________
"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Scottishscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishscales View Post
Successful sub filter! I had to turn on the sub filters pump to get the new filter to pump bevause the classics dont have priming capability but then I shut it off and voila! It's pumping water like a champ

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

Yeah they don't half chug. Minimal noise too. They just let themselves down when it comes to the awkward round size and shape and the lack of decent priming feature. Other than that, they are well worth the extra you pay for them.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bow front, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
36 gal bow front se conversion help busymom23 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 4 01-02-2015 01:52 PM
For Sale: 25 gallon bow front, 110 gallon bow front & Zoo Med Terrarium OBEYtheFISH Archive 21 06-16-2012 08:31 AM
New 36 bow front need help! Surfergurl92 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 47 08-17-2011 12:21 PM
Help with Filter/Lighting choices for Planted 36G Bow Front Patrick Cox Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 13 08-08-2010 10:27 PM
HELP......upgrading from 20 gal. to 46gal. bow front pooter Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 10-09-2006 09:48 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.