46 Gallon Bow Tank Stocking Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Assuming that everything goes well with my new additions and my planned upcoming additions, here's a list of what I'll have in my 46 gallon bow tank...

(5) Flame Dwarf Gouramis (2 male and 3 female)
(5) Longfin Leopard Danios
(1) Sailfin Pleco

What I'd like to do, again this is assuming everything goes well, is I'd like to add a small school of Corys (most likely Juliis as I just love their markings!). So that would put me at the above list and...

(5-6) Julii Corys

Would this meet my stocking capacity? Would it exceed my stocking capacity?

I do realize that my Pleco will soon outgrow the tank and I'll start planning for that when he gets a little bit bigger. He's currently about 4" (give or take a little bit). I'd hate to lose him, but I was misinformed by the lady at the lfs when I purchased him. I'm hoping to get a larger aquarium set up in my home, but I still haven't a clue on where I'm going to find the room to put it! Anyone want to come to my house and help me plan?! ;)

TIA,
- Mandy

i think even with the pleco in the tank, you would still be understocked. both the cories and the danios are not big waste-producers. that leaves the gouramis, and they are dwarf's.
BTW, if you can't find a spot in your home, you know where to set it up (hint : my house :wink: )

I think you are fine with the cories, especially considering that except for the pleco the other fish are all mainly upper water dwellers, so your bottom could support more fish.

Awesome.. I was hoping the general consensus would be that it's fine! I really like Corys and I to think they'd be a nice addition as a bottom dweller. :)

What about adding more Danios? Would that also be ok? I'm really having fun with the LFL ones right now and wouldn't mind adding a few more. Or even a small school of the Zebras. Basically any other suggestions on what else I could add without pushing it to far would be appreciated! :)

Tetrin- You have no idea how hard I'm trying to find a way to rearrange some furniture or get rid of something to make room. I'm loving this fish keeping world, but I can tell already that I'm going to have MTS really bad!! 8O

Thanks again,
- Mandy

I don't think a couple more danios would hurt anything, and if there is no room at Tetrin's house I have free wall you could use.

mandy, i know the feeling alright.
rich, this isn't fair :mrgreen: .

anyway, back to the main topic. i think with the upper and the lower regions occupied, you add a school of small middle-dwellers (tetras, small barbs, rasboras). but do so slowly and keeping an eye on water quality.

I would look at Diamond Tetras or maybe black or white skirt tetras. They are good mid level fish that aren't big waste producers. You've got a great tank. My community tank was once very similar to what you've got now (before my PH crashed, killing everything).

I think that your tank will support your pleco for quite a while too, Just avoid too many bottom dwellers.

Back
Top Bottom