55 Gallon build ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
O I picked up my 55 gallon long today, super excited to get this puppy going. I have to clean the tank as that's just common sense but especially since the tank was not properly taken care of. I donated the fish to my lfs as they would receive proper treatment and care there. I'm hoping to run the aqueon 55 filter it came with and a tetra whisper 30 until I can afford another 55.

I'm going with sand instead of gravel in this tank. Now the filter sits really close to the bottom so I'm taking it I should be careful on how much sand I place inside correct? I'm going to throw out the filters they used and start fresh.

Once all done I'm thinking this as a stocking list

1 bristle nose pleco
5 rummynose tetras
5 Cory cats
My 7-8 platys plus maybe a few juvie fry
2 Bolivian rams
Driftwood
Java moss
Duckweed

What other stock could I go with?

I don't recommend duckweed because it reduces the amount of light substrate plants get. It also sometimes clogs filters. I would get dwarf water lettuce instead. It is much larger but slower growing, so it would solve both issues.

Okay so no duckweed. What else would be suited for a 55? I'm surprisingly drawing blanks here. Oh and believe me I felt the wrath of a pregnant woman today and my hiney hurts.

I don't want to overstock either so I'm trying to think at stock or just slightly understocking.

I think Bolivian rams would be a centerpiece no? Any others?

If I were you, I would add at least 3 more rummies. They will be much happier in a larger group, and you will really notice the difference. Plus, they look a lot nicer ;)

Back
Top Bottom