55 gallon dream stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lydia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am restocking my 55 gallon freshwater tank and am totally stumped as to what to get. What would you guys get if you could do your dream 55 gallon tank?

a nice big school of cardinal tetra and smaller school of red line torpedo barbs would be my first choice :)

My current 55 is a catfish/angelfish tank and I really like it that way. I've got four nice angels, a four-line pictus cat, and two sun cats. If I had another tank I'd definitely do it all oddball. Maybe a weeksii bichir and a pair of African butterflies for the top. If not a weeksii than a smaller bichir like an ornate.

Thats a tough one. I have always really liked opaline gouramis. There are tons of awesome schoolers out there like kerri tetras and emperor tetras.
African butterfly fish would be amazing though. :)

I had an African butterfly in my tank before but due to a 4 day power outage they all died. I had an oddball community tank and this time am looking for something totally different. I was thinking of simply a few impressive fish.

For starters I would go with a phillipine blue angel, apistogramma cacatuoides, keyhole cichlid, 6 Boesemani rainbows, 6 glass cats, 6 orange laser cories, and a zebra pleco L46. :)

There are lots of really impressive rainbows. Also, paradise fish!
Another option that I personally like is tiger barbs and golden wonder killifish. they can both be rather aggressive/nippy, so they seem to work well together. :)

I would also do paradise fish and rainbows. Millenium, Australian, Boesmani, MacCulloch, Praecox, and Yellow Rainbows are my personal favorites :)

Also, of you wanted cichlids, check out the list of unique and uncommon apistos Severum Mama and HN1 have in the Classifieds section. They're very colorful :)

Ah, if you just want a large impressive fish or two you can't go wrong with a jurupari and either a pleco or medium [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]pimelodid[/FONT] catfish.

I just got 4neon rainbow fish, they look amazing. Where would I get the others u mentioned in ur post? Do different rainbow fish school together?

I was totally thinking of getting a Jack Dempsey but could I keep anything else with it in a 55?

Just wanna say thanks all for your ideas and info. I was completely unaware of rainbows and have done some valuable research. They are really cool looking but I was thinking something bigger! Like one or two big fish rather than schoolers.

I've read that jd's are destructive. Has anyone experienced this? Any fish that are similar that are not and are not as aggressive? I want at least a pleco in with it.

Lydia said:
I've read that jd's are destructive. Has anyone experienced this? Any fish that are similar that are not and are not as aggressive? I want at least a pleco in with it.

I have heard JDs aren't as bad as some of the other cichlids. Just what I have heard. But IMO a pleco and JD is all you can keep together in a 55.

Back
Top Bottom