58 gal stocking; platinum/red theme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

I've just purchased a 58 US Gal tank (100cm long x 40cm deep x 55cm high) and will be using a Superfish Aqua Flow AquaPro 600 (158.5 gal capacity) and, after scaping it with black sand and background and plants and whatnot, I'm thinking of stocking it with a platinum/red theme

I was initially going to leave it platinum, but I love cherry barbs and they are going to be a definite yes in this tank

On the platinum side I'm planning:

1 x Angelfish (some platinum/silver type)
1 x Moonlight Gourami (I'm going to monitor this carefully, I've heard mixed opinions and experience on keeping the species together - I've read that this is supposed to be a gourami more on the timid side so I'm hoping there won't be too many issues with it and the Angel) possibly a girl?
1 x Albino Bristlenose Plec, probably a girl if I can get one
8 x Albino Cories (probably, maybe more/less depending - will watch these with the temp as well, I know they like it cooler than the Angels prefer?)

On the red side I'm planning the cherry barbs, probably a shoal of around 10, maybe 12 - I've read some things about barbs being nippy but I've also read that these are supposed to be less so than other barbs, and I'm hoping the size of the group will help

Plugging this into our friendly AqAdvisor gives me a stocking level of 87%

I'd love some suggestions/thoughts on possibly adding a white-to-red type fish to bring the cherries together with the platinum guys (and will be willing to adjust group numbers to accommodate). I was (very loosely) considering, Glass Bloodfin Tetras or Rummynose Tetras - I love Silvertip Tetras but I've read some real horror stories about them and I don't think I'd be comfortable keeping them in with the Angel at all. I was also looking at Glowlight Tetras but I know they'd probably end up Angelfish dinner

I'm not married to adding a 'tie-in' type fish; is the consensus the tank should look okay with the one red species or should I look at adjusting stocking levels to have a 'tie-in' species of some kind?

Thanks for your opinions!

Roseline barbs? That might overstock your tank though

I think Glowlight Tetras would look great too! If you get an angelfish small enough, you will be fine. Once they get to know eachother they should be fine together

As I have mentioned to others, I firmly believe that the vast majority of fish species are much happier and healthier in groups. One angelfish and one gourami and one plecostomus are not going to be happy by themselves. Two or three species of six or so fish each, I believe, are much happier and attracitve than one fish of this and one of that. That's not how they live and that's not how they should be maintained, IMHO

Jmeyer- nooo I love those! I think ur right about the stocking issue though... Hmmm...

Rileymc - I think they'd be perfect, but they could also be a perfect snack, lol. Do you have experience with them with angels?

Rlederer - I see that you do hold that view, having just gone through your previous replies. Would you then not want to see plecs, for example, in the hobby? Only thinking about it because I've read - not that I'm an expert on plecs - that males can be territorial and even 2 in a tank my size wouldn't be a good idea. Plus bioload? Idk how much tank space per individual gouramis like the moonlight need to not become aggressive over territory - what size tank would be the minimum for a group? I know I don't have space for a shoal of angels. What are your thoughts on that alongside the average hobbyist maintaining tanks? I understand what you're saying and it is food for thought. JW how you'd follow through on that in the hobby as a whole. Hope that came across as non-combative as I meant it!

I think you'll be fine overstocking a little if you're dedicated to your water changes

Jmeyer- nooo I love those! I think ur right about the stocking issue though... Hmmm...

Rileymc - I think they'd be perfect, but they could also be a perfect snack, lol. Do you have experience with them with angels?

Rlederer - I see that you do hold that view, having just gone through your previous replies. Would you then not want to see plecs, for example, in the hobby? Only thinking about it because I've read - not that I'm an expert on plecs - that males can be territorial and even 2 in a tank my size wouldn't be a good idea. Plus bioload? Idk how much tank space per individual gouramis like the moonlight need to not become aggressive over territory - what size tank would be the minimum for a group? I know I don't have space for a shoal of angels. What are your thoughts on that alongside the average hobbyist maintaining tanks? I understand what you're saying and it is food for thought. JW how you'd follow through on that in the hobby as a whole. Hope that came across as non-combative as I meant it!

Unfortunately no I do not with specifically angels, but I have successfully kept some neons with a larger fish that could have been a potential predator. My trick was to get the predator while it's still very small so they get acclimated to each other while it's not big enough yet to eat the neons

As I have said, the "vast majority" of fish kept are happier and healthier in groups. I also agree that there are exceptions. A few do best alone and occasionally you end up with an aggressive loner. But, in general, if one does not have room for 5 or 6 angelfish, one needs to get a bigger tank or smaller fish. Having only one angelfish is just not good for that fish. Don't you agree that replicating nature as much as possible makes for the most attractive and healthy tank? Thanks for listening djc and all.

Hi guys!

I've just purchased a 58 US Gal tank (100cm long x 40cm deep x 55cm high) and will be using a Superfish Aqua Flow AquaPro 600 (158.5 gal capacity) and, after scaping it with black sand and background and plants and whatnot, I'm thinking of stocking it with a platinum/red theme

I was initially going to leave it platinum, but I love cherry barbs and they are going to be a definite yes in this tank

On the platinum side I'm planning:

1 x Angelfish (some platinum/silver type)
1 x Moonlight Gourami (I'm going to monitor this carefully, I've heard mixed opinions and experience on keeping the species together - I've read that this is supposed to be a gourami more on the timid side so I'm hoping there won't be too many issues with it and the Angel) possibly a girl?
1 x Albino Bristlenose Plec, probably a girl if I can get one
8 x Albino Cories (probably, maybe more/less depending - will watch these with the temp as well, I know they like it cooler than the Angels prefer?)

On the red side I'm planning the cherry barbs, probably a shoal of around 10, maybe 12 - I've read some things about barbs being nippy but I've also read that these are supposed to be less so than other barbs, and I'm hoping the size of the group will help

Plugging this into our friendly AqAdvisor gives me a stocking level of 87%

I'd love some suggestions/thoughts on possibly adding a white-to-red type fish to bring the cherries together with the platinum guys (and will be willing to adjust group numbers to accommodate). I was (very loosely) considering, Glass Bloodfin Tetras or Rummynose Tetras - I love Silvertip Tetras but I've read some real horror stories about them and I don't think I'd be comfortable keeping them in with the Angel at all. I was also looking at Glowlight Tetras but I know they'd probably end up Angelfish dinner

I'm not married to adding a 'tie-in' type fish; is the consensus the tank should look okay with the one red species or should I look at adjusting stocking levels to have a 'tie-in' species of some kind?

Thanks for your opinions!
If you want a 'tie-in' fish that schools in a manner akin to your Cherries and grows to a similar size, I would look at the Odessa Barb. They are a primarily silver colour that is shiny and attractive with a brilliant red stripe going along their lateral line in males. Only other colouration that they have is a black dot by their tail on around the gill plate area. Female Odessa Barbs typically don't have this red stripe or if they do it is really faded which allows them to match the platinum style you have the majority of your tank in. From what I can remember of caring for these guys they were pretty good natured for the most part.

Checker Barbs might work if you cannot find any Odessa Barbs. Checker Barbs have a body of silver scales, only colouring up on their fins with a pretty red colour that is marked on the outermost edges with a black line.

When you finish everything up, maybe you could post a picture of how the tank looks? I get the feeling it is going to be amazing. :)

Back
Top Bottom