A good filter media??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_fresh

Aquarium Advice Regular
whats a good filter media to use for a planted tank?? i have a emporer 280 and i use Sechems Seagel, and Purigen. what would be better?

There are three categories of filter media: mechanical (screens out particulate matter), biological (provides a home for nitrifying bacteria which are a necessary component of the nitrogen cycle), and chemical (acts to adsorb a particular pollutant or pollutants from the water column). Depending on the type of filter(s) you have, you may be able to use all three types. Only biological media is necessary and some may argue that you can get away without it (although I have never tried this). Certain types of filter material may serve dual purposes (e.g. sponges, which act as both mechanical filtration media and provide a bed for nitrifying bacteria).

I agree with the other posters, sponges (for mechanical/biological) and bio rings (for biological) work best for me. I'm with you in that I also use Seachem Purigen as a chemical media. I've never seen anything that helps keep the water as crystal clear as it does. I've also used Cell-Pore BioMedia blocks as biological media in my canisters as an experiment, but they proved to be a bit too fragile for the thrashing that my filters put them through and fragmented badly. They may work quite well in an HOB filter however. HTH :)

Travis.. I was looking at the Purigen stuff you mentioned and saw that it affects nitrates. Do you see an appreciable difference in your ates ?

Purigen™ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal.
http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Purigen.html

Dave

I haven't done any serious testing but it does not appear to significantly affect NO3 levels in my tank. My situation is sort of weird though because my Africans produce so much waste that I barely have to dose nitrates at all. I dose more NO3 per week in my 30G grow-out tank than I do in my 125G fully planted, high-light, CO2 tank. Steve Hampton told me that he notices a slight decrease in NO3 levels when he runs Purigen in his filters but if I remember correctly, he said that he does not use it constantly.

Back
Top Bottom