A sorry state of affairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I got home tonight, I noticed that the water level on my 33 gallon African Clawed Frog (3 of 'em) tank was about 4 or 5 inches lower than it should be. There was also a large puddle of water on the floor. So, naturally I freaked out. I got all the towels in my house and started stuffing them under the tank table, I was trying to dry off everything to see if I could tell where this all was coming from. I jumped in my car (and only hyperventilated a little bit) and got about 2 blocks away on my way to get a large container from a friend/neighbour before remembering that I have several large containers of my own (duh, I moved all these tanks here somehow!). I moved the 3 frogs into a Rubbermaid container (about 20 gallons probably) with their driftwood, plant pots, java ferns & moss and a pile of hornwort plus set up the heater and filter to run in the rubbermaid and drained the tank.

I guess the real question is... how long can I keep these little guys like this?

I had figured that I would empty out the tank completely and then reseal everything. BUT... it turns out that there is a huge crack in the bottom that runs accross the entire width of the tank. It is totally irrepairable. I can't believe it!

Are they going to be okay in there? I'm sure short term they will be fine, but I am not exactly in the financial situation to run out and get them a new tank right this minute.

I pulled out all the plants and replanted them into the 10 gal ram breeding venue. Totally traumatized the rams, once again.... Some of the hornwort will be going to hornwort-heaven, I'm afraid. The rest of the plants should survive. Should...

This was such a bad day before I even got home. I reached new levels of anger and frustration with my learning disabliity advisor/counsellor/therapist person and was completely totally mean to her, then I found out while watching the news that I'd been exposed to a horrible (but only sometimes fatal) disease at a restaurant last week while on a VERY BAD DATE and stood in line for the better part of the evening to get a painful shot in my arm and had to endure a first lesson puppy obedience class with a VACUUM running through half of it. HELLO?! Why is there a vacuum running during "Puppy All-Star Level 2"???

Now I am really quite terrified of my 55 gallon tank, which I have been picturing spontaniously exploding in the middle of the night. I have always had my tanks on really sturdy tables in the past, not actual tank stands and I am thinking that is why the bottom of this tank cracked in this way. Perhaps it wasn't adequately supported on the bottom?

I heard the frogs singing this morning before I left for school. I wonder if maybe they were trying to tell me something? "Hey Human! Our house is in disrepair!! Hello!! Maintenance!!???"

Oh, and yesterday my 2 dwarf frogs both died suddenly with no rhyme nor reason. And there was only 1 beer left in the fridge tonight!!!

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a rant, but I really could use some serious Aquarium Advice on this!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am sorry for your troubles. With a filter and heater the frogs should do fine in the tub indefinitely. Hornwort grows quickly enough so I would worry about losing some of it. Most tank stands support the edges. As long as all 4 sides are on the table and the table can support the weight,and is level the tank should be fine.

How old was the tank that broke? Unfortunately sometimes things like this happen.

Aw, triple crap! They will do fine in the tub forever, so you don't need to worry about them, at least.

I've started putting foam core board under tanks when I set them up; apparently irregularities in the surface the tank is on can cause a stress crack on the tank. Still, I worry all the time about massive failure, as I live on the third floor.

At least you found it before it was entirely empty and saved everybody-that's something. And you have fellow fishkeepers to share your pain. And the tank manufacturer might replace it for you. Anyway, I'm so sorry this happened, and on such an already-bad day, too!

You can look at the bright side, at least it all happened together while you were already upset and stressed....

I think maybe your frogs were singing to let you know they were fine. :)

You poor thing. I have nothing to offer but a cyber hug and agreement with musket that your frogs were singing to let you know they're OK.

I'm so sorry all of this happened. It will get better!

I'm so sorry for you bad day, shayfish. I don't have frogs but like everyone says, they will be fine. You were able to save the frogs before their tank totally fell apart! I hope your arm feels better too and that you don't have to worry about the restaurant anymore.

I'm so sorry shayfish, that is one heck of a bad day!

Too bad you don't live anywhere near me... I have a 55 just taking up space in my garage that I would gladly give you.

Just be glad that you caught the leak in time to save your frogs... it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks, everyone. I know that the important part is that they made it safely out of there and I am realizing how much worse it could have been. I had a complete panic, but it was short, so once I calmed down (and drove around the block :roll: ) I think I handled it pretty well. They are doing okay still and I am starting to think about a more permanent residence for them. I am still not sure what I should do yet though.

The tank I got second-hand, and it had certainly had some use out of it already. It was a tank that the guy made himself too, so I guess it was really just one of those unfortunate things. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the bottom of a tank just cracking like that though.

The way things were (hadn't done a full tank shot in a while though...)
img_804638_0_f364eb73b466f520488e013ffba1de1e.jpg

Here is where they are living now:
img_804638_1_92eb6383d4d72bcbd254c826119a68ba.jpg

Here's the damage (a little hard to see):
img_804638_2_2260b1627e6dd6271eda9d29d7dadbd6.jpg

Since you live in a major city (and I'm even going to refrain from making a Canada joke here)...I'd say hit up craigslist and all the classifieds. You may not be able to find a used tank of the appropriate size soon, but it's very possible you'll be able to find a replacement tank for a very cheap price.

Back
Top Bottom