Absolutely stupid my Rainbows make cichlids look like good community fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmarcf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

My Rainbows (Murray River) are super aggressive in the last few days for some reason. They are not schooling at all they just keep attacking each other. Before only the main male was a bit aggressive now they all are.

Tonight they all look like males which is strange because I have seen them breed and have eggs in a breeding tank but they have all coloured up plus it looks like they have all long dorsal fins which only males have.

The only thing I have changed is removing the breeding mop and upped the temperature from 24 (75.2) to 25 (77.9) degrees.

Can Rainbows change sex?

And on top of this the little Australian Bass has decided he is going to be super aggressive. The only sane fish in this tank is a bristlenosed catfish and a Empire gudgeon

Cheers

As long as they aren't beating up the other fish I wouldnt worry about it tbh. Rainbows can get like that sometimes.

You got an Aussie bass? *favourite sport fish?* How big is this tank?

Rainbows can get aggressive like that yeah but often to stop the bass from being aggressive they need some territory.... driftwood, rock caves....

How's your bass with feeding, are you hand feeding?

Is this a biotope tank?

What is the ratio of males to females? If it is like 1 female and 6 males the males will have a brawl.

I've found Rainbows can be jerks, and after mine are gone, I won't be replacing them. They are maniacs with food, and will outcompete any fish I have for it. I had never seen any fighting, but one morning one of my favorites was dead, his eyeballs gone. He and another were the only males, so I'm assuming the other male suddenly just attacked him, after no warning. All the others I have are females, and thankfully I've had no trouble since then. But Rainbows aren't personable enough for me, they are super hyper, and take up too much space! I'd rather have more medium and small size fish than Rainbow size in my 55, but live and learn...

I've found Rainbows can be jerks, and after mine are gone, I won't be replacing them. They are maniacs with food, and will outcompete any fish I have for it. I had never seen any fighting, but one morning one of my favorites was dead, his eyeballs gone. He and another were the only males, so I'm assuming the other male suddenly just attacked him, after no warning. All the others I have are females, and thankfully I've had no trouble since then. But Rainbows aren't personable enough for me, they are super hyper, and take up too much space! I'd rather have more medium and small size fish than Rainbow size in my 55, but live and learn...

I totally agree. Never again am I ever getting rainbow fish! Luckily for me one of my friends had an all rainbow tank so mine went to live there with the others

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They have settled down a bit but now have like 30-40 fry :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom