Accidental fish in cycle. [My journey]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. [emoji1317]
Planning to put the leg from a pair of hose over the siphon to avoid sucking any up once they start dropping.

Ok so weird thing. Haven't done PWCs today. Two kids with a stomach virus, very unexpectedly, so I'm just now getting a chance to sit down.
Tested my levels.....the ammonia in the 65g was at a solid 2ppm this morning. It's down to an obvious 1 ppm now???? Weird? No sign of nitrites though.
(Not testing for nitrates as this point.)

Still no nitrites this morning. [day 4]
But the ammonia in the living room tank has dropped again. Down from 1 to .50-.75ppm??? I'm confused.

Bedroom seems to be steady at around 1ppm. But it's been set up almost exactly one day less than the 65. Curious to see if the ammonia begins dropping tonight (which would be 24hrs after the living room began dropping.)

Any ideas why the ammonia is dropping but no sign of nitrites?

Oh! No losses this morning, btw. [emoji1317]

Pretty common for there to be a delay. Not to get graphic....but think of it like the bacteria is eating the ammonia...but it takes a while to come out the other end :)

Exactly what eco23 said!

Yay for no losses and lowered ammonia! Praise God.

Totally agreed Megi!

Thanks so much for the explanation both you and Eco! You guys are wonderful! Will do some more testing throughout the day and night, will update with any changes!

Okay, found some hidden losses. I don't believe they happened today, judging from the look of them... regardless I lost a red cherry shrimp and a juli Cory. [emoji22]
Both were quite hidden, which explains why I missed them.

Okay, found some hidden losses. I don't believe they happened today, judging from the look of them... regardless I lost a red cherry shrimp and a juli Cory. [emoji22]
Both were quite hidden, which explains why I missed them.
Awe :( bummer. Keep count of your fish so you know if anyone is missing. A dead fish releases ammonia in to the tank through decomp.

Did a thorough check after finding them. No one else is missing. (Though with the red cherry shrimp it's hard to find them anyway.

Just about to leave work! I dosed prime and stability before I left an checked for losses, none that I saw! Everyone looked to be accounted for! Will check the levels when I get home!

Ugh well. Sorry for falling off the planet there. Busy busy. Anyway, I've kept up with dosing and water changes but I just couldn't get on top of the ammonia levels, still showing no nitrites or nitrates. Frustration frustration! Anyway, hubby came back in town so he helped me out and we're just finishing up with a water change of 80 or 90%. Already did the living room. Refilling the bedroom now. Living Room is under 1ppm again. It had gone off the charts, no matter what I did, no deaths in the tanks either so no bodies shooting it up. It was so frustrating. Bedroom was the same. I'll test it again after it's full and has been running for about half an hour.

So all in all, I'm starting over. Lol. Grrr. I just couldn't bear the thought of losing fish to the high levels, pls I think high ammonia levels can stall a cycle anyway. Correct?

Ugh well. Sorry for falling off the planet there. Busy busy. Anyway, I've kept up with dosing and water changes but I just couldn't get on top of the ammonia levels, still showing no nitrites or nitrates. Frustration frustration! Anyway, hubby came back in town so he helped me out and we're just finishing up with a water change of 80 or 90%. Already did the living room. Refilling the bedroom now. Living Room is under 1ppm again. It had gone off the charts, no matter what I did, no deaths in the tanks either so no bodies shooting it up. It was so frustrating. Bedroom was the same. I'll test it again after it's full and has been running for about half an hour.

So all in all, I'm starting over. Lol. Grrr. I just couldn't bear the thought of losing fish to the high levels, pls I think high ammonia levels can stall a cycle anyway. Correct?
At least no deaths! I'm unsure about the high ammonia stalling cycles.

Can I just say: jfkdnheidbd.
That is all.

IMG_1732.JPGIMG_1733.JPG

Definitely not done cycling but there's actual progress!!!! (The test strip was just to double check that I wasn't crazy. Lol)

This is the bedroom tank, just did a water change and figured I'd test now instead of tonight. So glad I did!

Ahhhh thank goodness. Living room is cycling as well. Nitrites are spiking, but nitrates are showing too! I just did one water change, I'll do another in a few hours. Get the nitrites under control.

IMG_1734.JPG

Back
Top Bottom