Accidental fish in cycle. [My journey]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ph stays between 7.0 and 7.2 for both tanks. Bedroom is mostly mollies so t runs about 80, living room runs about 76-78.
You are actually safe at 1.0 ppm since your pH is relatively low. I would definitely keep it under 1.0, but keep in mind that exposure to any amount of ammonia is bad long term even when it's not enough to be immediately toxic. Some people try to keep it 0.25 ppm or lower regardless. There's a great thread somewhere... here it is: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

When you start seeing nitrites, though, I recommend changing water if you see any reading at all, keeping nitrites 0.25 ppm or lower just to be safe.

Image1488485700.222635.jpg

These little beggars in the bedroom tank are down to .50 - .75 ppm ammonia after that water change!!!

It occurred to me that I should check the ammonia level in my tap water...it's 0ppm. Thank goodness.

On to the living room tank!

Phew! Between 45 & 50% WC on the 65g in the living room! My goodness. I am so tired now. Plus my four year old is sick! I'm just playing nursemaid to everything today! Lol. Will test ammonia levels in about an hour!

You want to keep your Ammonia below 1 ppm. Ideally during a cycle you want .5 or less. Keep up with PWC. 50% PWC decreases ammonia by 50%. Keep that in mind.

I understand feeling like a mad scientist and praying for your fish. I have prayed over mine many times and they were okay. :)

Success! Living room 65g is down to .50 - .75 ppm! Phew!

Picking up some cycled media from a wonderful fish keeper near me tomorrow. Hopefully that will seed the tanks pretty well!

No fish losses thus far (minus a few at the very beginning before I posted here.) , so prayer helped in my opinion! That includes two glass catfish and a trio of German blue rams, both of which are very sensitive.

Success! Living room 65g is down to .50 - .75 ppm! Phew!

Picking up some cycled media from a wonderful fish keeper near me tomorrow. Hopefully that will seed the tanks pretty well!

No fish losses thus far (minus a few at the very beginning before I posted here.) , so prayer helped in my opinion! That includes two glass catfish and a trio of German blue rams, both of which are very sensitive.
Whoohoo!

Also will still fast the fish today. They'll get a small meal tomorrow around midday, and see how it affects the ammonia levels.

I feel like I'm starting to become a billboard for these guys, but last week I cycled a 22long in 4 days (3ppm of pure ammonia to 0/0 in under 24hrs) with the "active sponge filters" Angels Plus sells.

I chopped them up, stuck them in with the bio-media in my canister filter and voila! Would definitely recommend checking them out.

Also, if you don't have one already, invest in a Python or Aqueon water changer (probably different brands out nowadays too). Worth every penny and makes PWC's a breeze.

I feel like I'm starting to become a billboard for these guys, but last week I cycled a 22long in 4 days (3ppm of pure ammonia to 0/0 in under 24hrs) with the "active sponge filters" Angels Plus sells.

I chopped them up, stuck them in with the bio-media in my canister filter and voila! Would definitely recommend checking them out.

Also, if you don't have one already, invest in a Python or Aqueon water changer (probably different brands out nowadays too). Worth every penny and makes PWC's a breeze.

I'd second the Python! A little more money, but worth every penny.

Angels Plus Live Sponges are amazing. We paid $30 for two when we had to destroy everything in the tanks, and honestly I would buy them again in a heartbeat if I needed to cycle.

I'm going to continue reading. I see that you are active right now and thought you might find that information useful.

Edited to add- definitely agree on the Python.

I'm glad you found someone who can give you media. It's the best way to go.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah I put the app for the forums in my phone and ipad, so I always get the notification pretty quickly.

Well, sad morning. Lost a Mickey Mouse platy and a German Blue Ram this morning. The GBR was from a trio and looks to have been one of the females. The platy....I'm not sure. My hubby picked them out. Sad day.

Everyone is finishing eating then I'll be doing water testing and most likely water changes.

Well, sad morning. Lost a Mickey Mouse platy and a German Blue Ram this morning. The GBR was from a trio and looks to have been one of the females. The platy....I'm not sure. My hubby picked them out. Sad day.

Everyone is finishing eating then I'll be doing water testing and most likely water changes.
Bummer. [emoji22] Hopefully no more losses.

Yep. Prayers and fingers crossed.
I've gone back and forth all night and today about the active sponge filters from angels plus. I may still go with them, but they advise not to ship over a weekend anyway.

The 65g tank has been up for a week as of yesterday, the 36g a week as of today. Both are on day 3 of stability and prime. I have a larger bottle of stability coming, since I'd only gotten the 250.

A local fish keeper will be bringing me so cycled media tomorrow, so that should help seed the aquariums. But if I don't see some improvements, even just slight, by mid week, I probably will order some of the angels plus filters. Worth a try.

Will do another PWC tonight, the 65g is at 1-2 ppm ammonia, no nitrites, the 36g is at .5-1 ppm, no nitrites. I'll test tonight about an hour after the WCs.

Yep. Prayers and fingers crossed.
I've gone back and forth all night and today about the active sponge filters from angels plus. I may still go with them, but they advise not to ship over a weekend anyway.

The 65g tank has been up for a week as of yesterday, the 36g a week as of today. Both are on day 3 of stability and prime. I have a larger bottle of stability coming, since I'd only gotten the 250.

A local fish keeper will be bringing me so cycled media tomorrow, so that should help seed the aquariums. But if I don't see some improvements, even just slight, by mid week, I probably will order some of the angels plus filters. Worth a try.

Will do another PWC tonight, the 65g is at 1-2 ppm ammonia, no nitrites, the 36g is at .5-1 ppm, no nitrites. I'll test tonight about an hour after the WCs.
Don't be afraid to do 2 PWC on each tank in a day. Because you can have spikes.

Definitely! I'm testing every couple of hours. The living room will probably get two WCs today since it's pretty fully stocked.

Hoping I can get this under control, I've got several mollies in my 36 looking very boxy!

IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG

Oh boy. Hopefully they're not pregnant. Cause then you have to deal with PWCs with fry. Praying over your fish!

Oh boy. Hopefully they're not pregnant. Cause then you have to deal with PWCs with fry. Praying over your fish!

Oh they are. They were housed in the 65, where the male mollies are first. And the creamsicle, the orange, is already gravid. Not super dark, but it's there.

I'll never see any signs of gravid with the Dalmatian and golden panda. Too much black in that area.

Oh they are. They were housed in the 65, where the male mollies are first. And the creamsicle, the orange, is already gravid. Not super dark, but it's there.

I'll never see any signs of gravid with the Dalmatian and golden panda. Too much black in that area.
Darn. Hopefully the fry will be fine in the cycling. Along with the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom