Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColtsGuy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello new to the forum, currently have a 10 gallon tank with one fancy goldfish. Just bought a 55 and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me since I'm stepping up my game. Really enjoy the fish hobby but want a bigger tank for more happy fish. Any advice its better then none. 55 freshwater

Well first of all welcome! :D and second are you planning on putting the goldfish in the 55? Also how many do you have? And make sure to cycle your tank!

Thanks a lot. Planning on putting the goldfish in the 10. Now I have the 10 and the new 55 with no fish in it hasn't cycled yet.

Meant put the goldfish in the 55, should I cycle the tank with that goldfish, how many fish should I cycle with

In most cases I would advise against fish in cycles, but in your case you and the fish would probably be better off doing a fish in cycle because the gold fish is much to big for that tank and they have a lot of poop. Just keep up on daily water changes and I would move everything from the ten over to the 55 so it will cycle faster.

I agree that a fish-in cycle is definitely possible in this case, especially with a goldfish since they poop so much. Just move your filter over from the ten gallon to the 55 and get another filter (HOB or canister, whichever your preference) and change water every day. Also watch the water quality, I would suggest an API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Thanks so much you guys are great, did a cycle with fish on the 10 with no problems didn't know if it would change

I"m tending to agree. Just cycle the tank with the one goldfish though and transfer everything you can from the 10 gal (especially the filter) to the 55 and then get another larger filter for the 55 as well (run both). Check water daily, do water changes as needed. Don't add any more fish until the tank completely cycles though. And keep in mind that goldfish are coldwater fish so just be sure you stock the tank with compatible species. :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom