Advice needed on snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darb21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Specifically, should I get one/some...

Don't know much of anything about them. I have a pool filter sand substrate, so I hear MTS would work well and keep the sand churning, but I think I want ONE to just do some glass cleaning and add a bit of character. Its a totally peaceful 29G community tank, so no worries about them getting picked on. One of my main concerns is that I do NOT want to have to battle them down the line to keep them to reasonable numbers. So in that sense, I would like one that will not turn into 10,000 little ones. I hear that one MTS will turn into a million in no time. Are there snails that don't reproduce like rabbits?

TIA for your thoughts!

MTS will reproduce and create significant numbers. If you want a nice snail that will roam the entire tank, scarfing up leftover food and not overpopulate your tank, then you need to look into an Apple snail (P. bridgessi).

I have a pic of mine in my plants and fish link.

If you don't use MTS to churn your sand, you will have to do it yourself. I have MTS in my planted tank...there are a lot of them but they remain hidden and don't come out until night.

Will the Apple Snail mess with my plants? I'm lightly planted, low light, but will be looking to upgrade lighting and go with more plants soon.

Thanks Jchillin!!!

Back
Top Bottom