Advice on Golden Algae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaDana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my golden algae eater for about 2 months now, and he is getting more and more aggresive every day. I read that they are good for community tanks as juveniles, but should be in a semi-aggresive when they get older. He really is picking on my other fish now. I don't have another aquarium, so I can't just start up a semi-aggresive tank. Can I bring him back to the pet store? Will they take him? What should you do with an individual fish that's a bully?

That is normal behaviour. You may be able to stop him picking on other fish by getting him a cave or something so that he will make that his territory and stay there. I used to have a 10cm long sucking loach and he had his rock which he dug a hole underneath and used to stay there all the time, he loved it!

Your fish shop should take the fish back, you can probably exchange for another fish of the same price.

8) Lora 8)

Hi,

if you are talking about a Chinese Algae Eater (CAE) then you will have to take him back to your LFS anyway because they grow to 1ft long. Way too big for a 29 gallon tank.

They are nasty buggers though and will only get worse. As they get older they also pack in their task as an Algae Eater and start trying to feed on the slime coats of your other fish, injuring them or even killing them.

steve

Thanks for the advice. Before we went to bed, we quaratined him last night and I'm planning on taking him to the store after work today. I looked Chinese Algae Eaters up, and they are a different species than our Golden Algae Eater (but probably similar behavior).
Bristlenose plecos look pretty cool, I'll look into getting one. Any other suggestions?

Brought our golden algae eater to the store tonight-- they wouldn't let me trade him, but they did take him back. I got a cute little otocinculus, and he's doing well so far. Since I've removed the gae, all the fish seem to be a little perkier.

SeaDana said:
Brought our golden algae eater to the store tonight-- they wouldn't let me trade him, but they did take him back. I got a cute little otocinculus, and he's doing well so far. Since I've removed the gae, all the fish seem to be a little perkier.

Hi,

can I suggest you get a couple of friends for your oto.

They are sociable fish and do much better in groups.

3 should really be the minimum number you keep together.

steve

Back
Top Bottom