Afraid for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-For-Thought

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently had a catastrophe and lost my entire tank while I was away on business. My tank was fully cycled and been establish for about a year and a half. After it had happen I came home 3 days later and i checked the water and the nitrates were off the chart (my wife wasn't doing water changes as I told her) and I had live bearers so I knew that's what happen. I stocked it with a betta and 8 neon tetras as soon after figuring my tank was still cycled. The problem is now the tetras aren't really moving a whole lot just kind of chilling in a group at the bottom. They will move during feeding time. I believe what ever killed my fish killed my BB because every thing has reset to 0. My ammonia nitrite and nitrates are all 0. My betta seems to be happy but im really concerned for my tetras. Any advice?

Sounds like you will be doing a fish in cyle. Youll have to test every day and do water changes accordingly

What size tank? IF it's a huge tank with just neons and a betta it might just take a while for nitrates to show up. If you added the fish soon after the others died (sorry btw) the bacteria should have been fine without an ammonia source unless you waited more than a week or/and the filter media dried out. Just keep testing daily and do water changes if you see any nitrite or ammonia, it shouldn't last long though.

It's only a 10g that's why I'm concerned. I don't think tetras are very hardy and usually more active correct?

Back
Top Bottom