Air pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaKing

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I"m setting up a 10 gal. with some Platies,Ottos and a Betta. I know Bettas don't neccasarily need one but what about Platies and Ottos? I will have a couple of live plants. Will that help?
Thx :cool:

It can't hurt. IMO, bringing down the water level in the tank by 2 inches gets more then enough surface agitation and water oxygenation, and it saves you 30 bucks... But It's your choice.

Air pumps are all up to u the reason I use one is because I have a very heavily planted tank and at night plants dont produce oxygen they actually deplete it so all the people I talk to say it helps... Plus it helps break up the water at the top of ur tank which is good for putting oxygen into the water

From the top of the tank, I believe.

And sorry to butt in, but can the air stone be toward the top of the tank or does it have to be down at the bottom? My tank has sand and the bubbles when it's at the bottom just kicks it all up.

BettaKing said:
Wait you mean like 2 inches down from the filter? Or the top of the tank?

Like, if your tank is full, you take out a bucket of water, and the water level goes down.

I have sand as a substrate and my airstone is at the bottom just not buried in the sand. It sits on the top surrounded by some rocks to hide it (and weigh it down obviously).

Putting the air stones directly in the well of the HOB filter works well too. I use the slender ones designed for under gravel filters in the mini whisper on our 10 gal planted tank. It works great. But I have to do an air pump because that tank is stocked to the max. And planted.

Lowering the water level from the top of the tank works too. But this lowers your water volume. Reactions in the water occur faster such as PH changes, building up of Nitrates, temperature etc.
10 gallons in not a lot of water, removing 1 gallon speeds water reaction rates up 10%. 2 gallons, 20% and so on.

If not over stocked and if your tank is, and remains in a stable and consistent setting with temp, maintenance, and general environment then save the 30 bucks and lower the water line. Its a little quieter too.

Back
Top Bottom