Air stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kris10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I started a new planted setup for discus a few months ago. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426198173.005206.jpgMy water is perfect and reAdy for the fish, however I have encountered a problem with the air stones. The bubbles from them are splashing on my light and the lid to my aquarium so they've gotta go. Will the discus be ok? I have a double hob filter now and that's it. Would that suffice?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can actually buy cheap air control valves so that the air isn't quite so crazy. I have these on one of my tanks.

I'll have to check that out. I just wonder if they will be ok if I leave it like it is. Are the bubbles really necessary for plants and discus?

My fish love their bubbles. They like to play in it. But I've never owned discus so I can't say for sure it would help/ not help them

I'll have to check that out. I just wonder if they will be ok if I leave it like it is. Are the bubbles really necessary for plants and discus?

Bubbles for the plants? I'd say No. Probably not for the discus either if you've got decent turnover from the filters.
How much research have you done on discus care? What water change schedule are you planning with them? Definitely not the easiest fish to keep.

I've done quite a bit of research, but a lot of it is very conflicting. I've bred angelfish for years and got an octagon tank to move them in. I do at least a 25% water change a week w my angels and the discus tank will be the same or possibly more. The discus need much warmer water than the angels or any other freshwater fish I've ever had but that hasn't been a problem so far, the plants and all the other fish have done fine with the high temps, which was one of my biggest worries. I've had it set up about 3 months w 3 corydoras and some tetras, I think 7. My tank is also a piano so the discus will have plenty of hiding spots. I am open to ANY advice tho, I've been wanting discus for years and I'm excited!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426207067.878153.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426207252.509367.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426207252.509367.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 109
Yes he's the reason why my fish are protected in the piano lol my cats love to go fishing :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426207817.255035.jpg

Old pic the tank looks totally different now but my cat sits and paws at them lol. She loves loaches.

Back on topic: if you have good output on the filters you don't really need the air stones.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Awwww I love to watch the kitty's chase the fish! And thanks, I didn't think it would but I don't want to take any chances with these fish cuz they're not cheap! Lol

I personally dont think you need air stones as long as there is water movement.
As far as discus are concerned, if I or others can keep discus, you can and especially if you've had some experience with other fish already.
I would just stay away from the wild caught discus which might require more than optimal conditions but I think you'll be fine with the home-bred variety and even then, you still need lots of water changes.
Discus can do well with other fish but they can be spooked easily, are "moody", and can be shy and slower to get to the food, only through careful selection I have been able to mix them with other fish.
Feeding can be tricky, not always they'll eat what you offer them.
Water changes in large volumes more often are a must for their health.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks that makes me feel good because I have always cleaned my tank a lot and that takes care of the water changes. I was going to buy the discus from somethingsphishy.com I have heard awesome things about them. I may get a canister filter in the future but I think my setup is ready for the discus and will suffice for awhile :) I'm excited and still up for any more advice....google and experience can't be compared lol and my discus experience is 0 :(
Oh and I also have 2 other tanks I can put the tetras or whatever in that bugs the discus.

So we've seen all kinds of things turned into aquariums, but the piano is by far one of the coolest things I've seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It wasn't too hard either and you'd be surprised how many ppl throw away old pianos!

Back
Top Bottom