Angelfish ~ can you determine the sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there any other angels in your tank? If they both are females, you might have to seperate them in order to get a breeding pair.

No these are the only 2. It's a 29 gal so I have them Otos and a couple bumblebee goby. The angels don't acknowledge the gobys, I am lucky.
If they are both females will they continue to try and spawn? Will they hurt each other?
I've studied them for several hours, so I see differences in them. I have noticed their (sexual) tubing does differ a little. Ones wider and longer, the other is narrow and nubby size. Idk if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If they are not a pair the one that laid would aggressively chase the other angel away, if that is not the case then it should be a pair,however don't expect miracles any time soon ........Good luck

If they are not a pair the one that laid would aggressively chase the other angel away, if that is not the case then it should be a pair,however don't expect miracles any time soon ........Good luck

Wow, they are hard to figure out. When she ( the striped one) laid eggs the black angel started to eat them. At first she was steering the black one away ( not to aggressive), but after a couple times of not keeping the black one away, she joined in and started to eat them. They were gone almost as fast as they got there.
I don't have hopes or expectations, Ricky, I think the curiosity is getting the better of me. I get frustrated when I don't understand something. Once it's explained and I know, I'm ok, weather I like it or not. Lol.
I really do appreciate your time in helping and explaining this to me. It will certainly help me put all the pieces together.
Most of you here are very kind and helpful. :)

It is nearly impossible to sex Angels...I have 6 and am only positive about one...its a Female because i have seen her lay eggs a few times..but ends up eating the eggs every time as well...if Angelfish feel threatened or the eggs may be compromised they will eat them.. so a predator can not....even if that predator is another female Angel...hope that helps with some of the behavior you are seeing....if there was a true pair the male would fertilize the eggs and defend them with her.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with shark, the female will start to lay from the bottom of the plant/ slate in rows going up, as soon as the male can get in he will fertilize the eggs in the same way, the eggs should be opaque,they then start to fan the eggs, if they turn white they are not fertile........

Shark and Ricky, This is the first time they have spawned and it was fast. As you can see in the picture there were not many of them. I literally walked out of the room and back in to find those eggs. The reason I say the striped one is the female is because soon after the black one was behind her and she dropped a couple eggs while swimming, is that even possible? Duhh it must be i saw it. After they ate the eggs they did a trip around the tank thats when she dropped a couple and they went right back to the slate, and looked at it.. I have to say this happened immediately following a WC. thats why i was in the next room, i was getting something to wipe the front of the tank down to get the drip marks off from the WC.
Neither one is to aggressive w/ the other. One thing that has changed is originally the black one was more dominate, now the silver striped one is. the black would always win in the lip locking, and never would bother her or any other fish in the tank. The silver one on the other hand was chasing my platys during the spawning phase (whatever proper terminology is), and she is now the one who will peck at and pursue the black one.
so i am sure ya all see why i am so curious as to if i have a M/F or F/F as they are showing multiple personalities.
Woahhh wait, is it possible those eggs are from an Oto or BumbleBee Goby (that one sounds like a really far fetched thought huh?

Last edited:
I wish I could post a video here. I have a nice shot of my pair laying a clutch of eggs.

Hey if you want to share feel free to msg me, I'll send my email addy to you.
What confused me about their eggs was the way they were laid. Like someone took a handful and tossed them, everything I've seen they are very straight vertical lines. The videos I've seen last longer than the 2 min I was not in the room.
It's all such odd behavior in comparison to what I've seen here and read everywhere I could find info.

Looks to me you have a M(black one) and F(zebra koi) but your male looks young. It took my pair(when I had them) 8 spawns before they got it right good luck.

5 gallon Betta Tank
In Progress 20L Reef

Just to rectify my other post, that was the procedure for laying eggs, Angels will lay high as possible on a slate, just in case it was confusing, I think they are a pair, but they have to learn, so it may take a while before they get it right.........

Looks to me you have a M(black one) and F(zebra koi) but your male looks young. It took my pair(when I had them) 8 spawns before they got it right good luck.

5 gallon Betta Tank
In Progress 20L Reef

Thank you. These are now probably between 7-10 months old would be my guess. I got the black in May, he was about the size of a quarter. And the silver/ black striped I got I sept she was between nickle and quarter size. I'm fortunate they've gotten along well and are always close to each other. I find my angels to be truly amazing, humans can learn much about relationships by watching a pair of angels, that's assuming I have a pair. Thanks again JessieNoel.

Just to rectify my other post, that was the procedure for laying eggs, Angels will lay high as possible on a slate, just in case it was confusing, I think they are a pair, but they have to learn, so it may take a while before they get it right.........

Thank you for clearing that up. I was unsure what your thoughts were. Mine are still young, probably going to take time to get it right.

Try this. I posted it on youtube
http://youtube/_ARhCFUpKKs

????
Yup can really see the female parts on yours and my striped are the same. Your male and my black look very much the same.
Sound like you were making popcorn in the background.
I forgot if you said any of the babies made it, I'm curious what they would look like.

It is nearly impossible to sex Angels...I have 6 and am only positive about one...its a Female because i have seen her lay eggs a few times..but ends up eating the eggs every time as well...if Angelfish feel threatened or the eggs may be compromised they will eat them.. so a predator can not....even if that predator is another female Angel...hope that helps with some of the behavior you are seeing....if there was a true pair the male would fertilize the eggs and defend them with her.

Random update: on my own status thought you would be interested in....got home from work today and there was my Female laying eggs up the filter with one of my now confirmed males trying to fertilize right away and help her fan!...I now believe I have one pair + one male one Female not paired and not sure about the last two...anyways the point is my pair fanned and fought off the others for about an hour and then proceeded to once again eat the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom