aquarium stocking check?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian7

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 55 gallon (4 feet wide and im not sure how tall at least two feet or more i assume) i have pictures of it on my profile.
6 fancy female guppies
5 long fin zebra danio
5 tiger barbs
2 angel fish (small an inch to an inch and a half across)
1 rainbow shark (small maybe an inch and half)

I know 55 gallon is minimum for rainbow shark and it gest 6 inches, i am going to try my luck as its too late now. I also know angels get large too thats why i am asking, should i keep it how it is? or do i have room for more?

brian7 said:
i have a 55 gallon (4 feet wide and im not sure how tall at least two feet or more i assume) i have pictures of it on my profile.
6 fancy female guppies
5 long fin zebra danio
5 tiger barbs
2 angel fish (small an inch to an inch and a half across)
1 rainbow shark (small maybe an inch and half)

I know 55 gallon is minimum for rainbow shark and it gest 6 inches, i am going to try my luck as its too late now. I also know angels get large too thats why i am asking, should i keep it how it is? or do i have room for more?

I would just fill out the tiger barb school to eight, get another schooler and call it stocked.

Do you want a few more of the same fish, or do you want a different species in addition to those?
IMO, you could add a few more danios and barbs to make slightly bigger schools. Larger schools of barbs are less likely to be fin nippers.
A word of caution though, your angels may eat your guppies when they get big enough. Since you are raising them all together from a small size, it may never be an issue though.

i took the advice and got 3 more tiger barbs for a total of 8. it was kind of funny the five greeted the new ones as soon as they were in. Any ways i also picked up an oto. But of coarse pet stores (that i go to at least) never say you should keep this fish in a group. Should i get more otos? or do you think one little guy will be ok. i was also thinking about getting a few corys? how would that go with what i have, specifically the rainbow shark.

i was kinda looking for new fish, i only got the danios as starters (no offense to them). but what about corys? then its quits.

Should i get more otos? or do you think one little guy will be ok. i was also thinking about getting a few corys? how would that go with what i have, specifically the rainbow shark.

I'm curious to read responses as I considered getting one myself and I read on other forums that ottos can be kept solitarily ... as long as there's algae for it to eat ... it just goes about it's business. I was going to get it for my Brown Algae ... but it's grown on me ... so otto's are out ... for now:D

Well actually now that I look at your stocking you could get any cory that you want... I suggest peppered;) I have 4 of them, getting more, and I love them! They constantly swim and play around!

you sure they would be ok... i really like them. i have large rock substrate, i read they like sand..

I have some gravel in my tank and they're fine in it, none have any scratches or injuries. I think you'd be fine as along as it wasn't too sharp! No razors;)

brian7 said:
i took the advice and got 3 more tiger barbs for a total of 8. it was kind of funny the five greeted the new ones as soon as they were in. Any ways i also picked up an oto. But of coarse pet stores (that i go to at least) never say you should keep this fish in a group. Should i get more otos? or do you think one little guy will be ok. i was also thinking about getting a few corys? how would that go with what i have, specifically the rainbow shark.

i was kinda looking for new fish, i only got the danios as starters (no offense to them). but what about corys? then its quits.

Ottos can be kept solitary, it's just you'll see them more often because they like being together. You do get the occasional stand-alone type though.

i just wanted to verify. with my current stock (8 tiger barbs not 5).
could i fit 4 cories in the mix? i have tank pictures on my profile.

any other opinions out there on adding six corys to my tank? I definetly do not want to over stock!

Thanks everyone! Although i think cories are really cool... i think i am going to hold off and see how my current stock holds up for the next few months. I think it would be best.

Back
Top Bottom