AquaSnails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today, I brought 2 AquaSnails from my LFS, I always wanted something quite strange in my tank, so I decided to get them even though the people at the LFS did not know much about them. I acclimated from for an hour, all went well, and there eating and moving really nicely. I don't know much about them, so I was wondering if anyone else has them and what there really called.

The people at the LFS said they eat anything and are pretty peaceful, what I expected from them being snails and all lol.

Hope you know what type they are or what they do.

Anyways thanks in advance.

I've added some really bad pixelated photos too, sorry but my Digital Camera is broke and i'm having to use my webcam, just ask if you want a better close up or a more details view on a part of them.

snail1.jpg

snail2.jpg

snail3.jpg

snail4.jpg

snail5.jpg

They appear to be Pomacea bridgesii, an apple snail species often referred to as the 'mystery snail'....they should leave any plants you have alone, but will eat decomposing vegetable and animal matter, so any dead fish or leftover foods, mostly.[/i]

Looks like my gold mystery snail....which devours my broadleaf plants and cabomba. A lot of people say that feeding them a diet ricj in vegetable matter can curb their appetite for plants. I guess I should try this and see what happens. He works so fast though, Im afraid if I couldnt get to him to feed him in time that he would munch my plants. He ate all of the leaves from a Radican Sword in a little over a day when I first got him; hes even bigger now.

youronlysin said:
Looks like my gold mystery snail....which devours my broadleaf plants and cabomba. A lot of people say that feeding them a diet ricj in vegetable matter can curb their appetite for plants.

Sounds like you probably have one of the other Pomacea species that does eat plants....they are quite similar looking.

Cheers, I've got no live plants at the minute, but will be looking for some soon. Any ideas on what sort of plants will provide nice cover for my fish? I want sort of a grassy area if thats at all possible with my snails, I love bushy plants, but im guessing it takes ages to get plants that big. Any ideas?

Before I get my live plants, do you think I should feed them lettice or peas, or any other vegetable for that matter? Whats the best sort for this type of snail?

Sorry for trebble posting but i've noticed my snails come up for air, is this normal and will they try to climb out?

Yes you have some species of apple snail, head over to applesnail.net to find out more about them. You should leave 1-3 in. without water at the top of your tank, since they do breath air through a little tube thing about as long as their body which they will push out of the water when needed. Also when breeding the females will lay eggs out of the water, by the way while most snails are a-sexual apple snails are not, and you will need a male and female if you want them to breed. Depending on what species you have your snails may eat plants (even silk ones in the case of canas) or may leave them alone in preferance of vegetabes (in the case of brigs), a list of possible vegetables to feed your snails can be found at http://www.freewebs.com/airwens/snailfood.htm hth

Wow thanks, i'll remove some of the water so they can get to the top a bit faster and breeth easyer, i'll see if I can sex my snails so maybe i'll get a few little eggs!

Thanks once again for all the replys !! :D

Back
Top Bottom