are my fish acting normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

splitbux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
10g tank cheapo aqua tech 5-15 hob filter. water parameters are
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20~ nitrates
ph 7.0
temp 80f

1 dwarf gourami
3 male guppys
1 platy

my dwarf gourami doesnt run to food right away but eventually gets to it on the bottom usually. his mouth is constantly opening and closing and he is always going up top to eat some air. is it normal for their mouths to open and close constantly and are they supposed to be going up for air every minute. other question is my guppys sometimes will go up and down against the glass really fast to the point where they bang themselves against the gravel, one time one knocked himself unconscious almost and just sat at bottom for a minute straight. last question is i read you should feed the gourami more than just flake food so he can keep his color so i feed him tetra flake food with tetracolor flake food(once in a while), is that enough for him or should i buy the freeze dried blood worms?

All my fish love love love blood worms its like a feeding frenzy when added to the tank. I personally do a good flake food supplimented with frozen food a few times a week. I am looking into fresh veggies as well.

do pet stores sell frozen fish food? ive never noticed a freezer in my lfs? is there something i can just buy at grocery store? like maybe frozen shrimp and grind it up?

Also it is normal for gouramis to go "up for air" once in a while, but not if they are doing it as frequently as you say, I have used the setup you are using before in the past successfully for a short time, but it sounds like a lack of.oxygen in the.water. how is the flow of the filter?

i keep the water up to black rim of tank and the filter just flows into the water without making any bubbles but it definitely causes ripples throughout the tank.

My pet store has a frozen food section lol. Right by.the fish. And all petco/petsmart stores have them for sure. Frozen blood worms,.brine shrimp, and other things

ok so i should buy frozen instead of the freeze dried? how do you know if your tank is getting enough oxygen?

Try dropping your water level a little. This should help with the O2 level. The surface needs to be agitated somewhat.

I would by frozen over freeze dried. It is all around better for the fish. Unfortunately the only way I know of to tell if.there is not enough O2 is the behavior of your fish

Back
Top Bottom