Are these rocks aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superpeytonm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been looking around the creek behind my house for a long time looking for rocks to stick in my aquariums. I found two that I really liked.
I poured vinegar over them multiple times and they didn't fizz, so I take that as a good sign. But I just want some opinions on if they'd be safe for aquariums.
And if they are, should I boil them? I've heard some rocks could explode if boiled.
Thanks for the help.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457319901.494526.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457319924.502552.jpg

I would think they'll be fine. Just scrub them very well. What you could do instead of boiling is bring some water to a boil and then pour the hot water over the rocks.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

They look ok. I assume both are the same type of rock colour wise?

Let the vinegar sit in a hollow in the rock somewhere you think might react and come back after a minute to see if any slow bubbles. That would let the acid have a better chance.

If a piece of steel (like a kitchen fork except I didn't mention that) skates across the rock without leaving much mark it should be fine would be my thought.

Back
Top Bottom