Arranging heaters and filters on 50 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, after realizing that the aquarium we bought second hand as 55 gallon isn't any standard size according to the charts I measured the inside and calculated the volume of the tank. If you fill it right to the top as far as possible and don't count the gravel it holds 50 gallons of water.

It would be interesting to know how much of that space the 66 lbs of gravel takes up, anyways...

The plastic covers were breaking and falling apart so I bought new glass ones which have a polycarbonate strip at the back that you can trim to fit your heaters and filters so the fit is a better seal to help against evaporation.

I have 2 fluval 150 watt heaters because I read one should heat the tank if one fails and one shouldn't cook the tank if one fails to ON. I have 2 aquaclear 70 filters that right now are turned to high while i am attempting to cycle but will each be on low and hopefully when the fish move in and hopefully that's enough stirring up to bring oxygen without adding air stones and stuff.

Anyways... I am using the old light hoods just sitting on top of the glass tops, but the cord comes out the center and affects where I thought the filters and heaters will be so I'm not sure what the best positioning of everything is.... My original thought is move each of the filters to the extreme left of each of the 23 inch sections and have the heaters to the extreme right of each 23 inch section does that make sense or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

It's best to place the heaters as close to the filters as you can so they circulate the water more thoroughly throughout the tank. Just offest the filters a little bit, or you could zip tie the light power cords together near the center brace and keep them out of the way.

I'd pair a filter and heater on each side of the back of the tank. That will disperse heat the most effectively.

Those polycarbonate strips are a pain to cut to accommodate filters and thermometers. Use wire cutters, not scissors.

So the heaters should be not near the intake side of the filter but the waterfall side of the filter, is that correct? Thanks.

It would probably maximize heat dispersion if they were arranged that way, but it's not crucial and it may look odd. My heater is near the filter intake tube and it's fine.

Thanks PNWaquarist,

For those polycarbonate strips, I thought I might be able to draw out the cutouts I want and then possibly cut through by melting the lines with a soldering iron, have you ever tried that or have any thoughts on how that might work?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom